Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Wireless in Hume

orangenblueorangenblue Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
edited May 2008 in University of Florida
Does Hume, or any of the other dorms at UF have wireless networks? If not, would i be able to bring my Airport Express and make my own network or would a firewall block it or something.

THanks.
Post edited by orangenblue on

Replies to: Wireless in Hume

• toydiamondringtoydiamondring Registered User Posts: 165 Junior Member
    No wireless in Hume (I think there's wireless in the common areas of Jennings) and I'm pretty sure I wanted to bring my Airport Express, looked it up, and saw that it violated UF's Acceptable Use policy...

If someone has first hand experience with this and knows better than I do, I'd love to be wrong in the conclusions I've drawn from the acceptable use policy.
  • orangenblueorangenblue Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    why would that violate the policy?
  • gthopefulgthopeful Registered User Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    There's wireless in hume commons, but you won't be able to access it in your dorm. Most places have wireless only in their common rooms, I believe. UF does not like you running your own wireless hub.
    okay, they may not like it, but if i took my airport express, should it be fine?
    In practice, every time I booted up the ol' laptop I'd see 6 or 7 networks in range that could be identified as "not UF networks", some of which had humorous names such as "Free Public Wi-Fi" and I'm pretty sure nobody did anything about it. You should be fine.
    very good. is it smart to put a name like "public wifi" and not like andrew's network or do they really not monitor at all?

thanks alot
    No, the purpose of making a network called "Free Public Wi-Fi" is to trick people into connecting to a network that isn't connected to the internet just to frustrate them :P
  • ASMAJASMAJ Registered User Posts: 2,097 Senior Member
    I think most, if not all, of the area commons have wireless. If you live in Thomas or Murphree, you can sometimes pick up the signal coming from the racquet club/gym and the murphree commons.
    yes but i need the wireless internet in my dorm. i have the air and the only way i can hook up to ethernet is if i use the usb adapter but then i will have no usb spots left
This discussion has been closed.