Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UF = #1 Party School in the Nation!

Replies to: UF = #1 Party School in the Nation!

• shinichi1419shinichi1419 Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    still, this gives a bad impression on the people who do not actually attend at UF.
    and if you worked hard and get straight A's , i'm sure people from other schools would be like ... ur school is easy from what Princeton Review said.
  • SSobickSSobick Registered User Posts: 2,331 Senior Member
    Check out the famous UF Alumni. I guess partying didn't hurt their success later in life. Princeton Review is a joke...

List of University of Florida people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • ASMAJASMAJ Registered User Posts: 2,097 Senior Member
    Zebes, with the size and the diversity of the campus, there's a place for everyone. I meet the description of your daughter and I have enjoyed every second of my stay. The university as an entity caters to every kind of individual, or at least that has been my experience so far

I agree with this. UF has 50,000 students with ~35,000 being ugrads. If you dont want to party, you dont have to. If you want to party every single day you can. There is a group for everyone at UF. We have >700 student groups, so you can find something that fits your personality. E.g Falling Gators (the skydiving club), DSA (Dominican Student Association), Aikido Club, etc.

Did UF make the Top Green school list? I was looking at other list and they werent on those. Thats a list they should be one. New sustainability minor, a director for sustainability affairs, campus wide recyclee efforts (blue bins in dorm rooms), etc.

Minor in Sustainability Studies | The University of Florida
  • rainydysndmondysrainydysndmondys Registered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    We have the minor!? I'm officially declaring it. =)

I was definitely hoping we'd make that list, but I never saw it.
    Here the the Green Schools ranking by PR.
    Named to The Princeton Review's "2009 Green Rating Honor Roll" -- a list saluting 11 colleges that each received Green Rating scores of 99 (the highest score) are six public and five private institutions:

(in alphabetical order)

Arizona State University at the Tempe campus
    Bates College (Lewiston, ME)
    Binghamton University (State Univ. of New York at Binghamton)
    College of the Atlantic (Bar Harbor, ME)
    Emory University (Atlanta, GA)
    Georgia Institute of Technology (Atlanta, GA)
    Harvard University (Cambridge, MA)
    University of New Hampshire (Durham, NH)
    University of Oregon (Eugene, OR)
    University of Washington (Seattle, WA)
    Yale University (New Haven, CT)
    The Princeton Review Gives 534 Colleges 'Green Ratings' in New 2009 Editions of Its Annual College Guides and Website Profiles of Schools: PRNewswire Business News - MSN Money
  • rainydysndmondysrainydysndmondys Registered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    Okay, BUT, the schools are ranked on a scale from 60-99 and we got a 97. We're still up there, so I at least can feel better about not making that list.
    I was trying to find UFs ranking or score. Could you give me a link to where you found it?
  • mom2threemom2three Registered User Posts: 810 Member
    Son is a high school senior this year. We have one Gator son, and one Knight son (UCF) in the family. For a lot of reasons, it's unfair to compare their college experiences, but nonetheless, if son #3 is accepted to both schools, we will not just automatically choose UF. This party-rep thing (and I'm a Florida native, so it's not news to me) certainly doesn't make us lean harder towards UF.
  • SSobickSSobick Registered User Posts: 2,331 Senior Member
    ^ Yes, but remember UCF is a directional school.
  • mom2threemom2three Registered User Posts: 810 Member
    Um, yes? Not sure of your point.
    I'm just saying that UF is not automatically a "no-brainer" for those who are accepted. There are lots of factors to consider. School rep and ranking are among them. UF's rep, in a lot of areas, could use some work, as the Princeton ranking indicates. Also, after 48 years in the sunshine state, the whole Gator thing gets old. It's not Harvard. Yes, a lot more kids apply than get in. But surely the "if you don't come here, we don't care; there's plenty more where you came from" attitude could be tempered somewhat.
    Like I said, we have a Gator son. He bleeds orange and blue. But there are other schools out there where a Florida kid can get a good education with a great college experience.
  • xNYerxNYer Registered User Posts: 454 Member
    Does anyone seriously think that employers actually read PR ???

Chances on employers making hiring decisions on PR rankings = 0.0%
  • rogracerrogracer Registered User Posts: 1,205 Senior Member
    Holding two concurrent national championships...the celebrating that went with that...including national TV coverage from University Ave of the festivities....I'm sure went a long way to securing the title for UF. I wouldn't place too much stock in it. I seem to remember a simpler time when Dartmouth held the title.
  • dvm258dvm258 Registered User Posts: 1,062 Senior Member
    SSobick, please define "directional school" for us.

I think your use of the phrase is a bit too extreme.
  • goufgatorsgoufgators Registered User Posts: 625 Member
    dvm258,

UCF is a regional school because most of its students come from the Orlando area.
This discussion has been closed.