Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UF = #1 Party School in the Nation!

AmandaisaGatorAmandaisaGator Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
edited August 2008 in University of Florida
Post edited by AmandaisaGator on

Replies to: UF = #1 Party School in the Nation!

• AmandaisaGatorAmandaisaGator Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    FSU was #10 ha
  • zebeszebes Registered User Posts: 1,326 Senior Member
    ^^^^
    That's the one thing we're worried about, actually, as a family. D's applied for the academics, and UF's probably, although not necessarily, the best fit for where she's looking major-wise ... but we hope there's a place for someone who's not a party animal on this campus and who's fairly conservative.

zebes
  • Way2SeriousWay2Serious Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    Going out 4-5 nights a week is doing some good in the world? Well, not for Machen. The guy must be furious. He has been trying to kill the party atmosphere here for years.
  • JEZ21JEZ21 Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    So is UF the U West Virgina of the south? Sad day for the gator nation.
  • vincanity1vincanity1 Registered User Posts: 898 Member
    Zebes, with the size and the diversity of the campus, there's a place for everyone. I meet the description of your daughter and I have enjoyed every second of my stay. The university as an entity caters to every kind of individual, or at least that has been my experience so far
  • JEZ21JEZ21 Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    From the article:

"Florida also came in first this year in the categories of students who study the least and students who pack the stadiums."

This is not what you would call good press for UF. Ouch!
  • kristendotcomkristendotcom Registered User Posts: 203 Junior Member
    Honestly I have a heard time believing this. Yeah my roommates and I went out but we still studied just as much.

Idk, yeah I agree with the packing the stadium but the rest? Not so much...
  • vincanity1vincanity1 Registered User Posts: 898 Member
    For those under the impression that JEZ is a competent individual trying to give his sincere opinion, look at his other 8 posts. Reminds me of that pathetic Miami fan that spent his days scavenging the UF forum waiting for somewhere to bash it. Ignorance..
  • mystifiremystifire Registered User Posts: 178 Junior Member
    While I normally feel sound and proud of the accolades that are awarded to UF, this is one that I do not like. Sure, we are the number one party school, we are also number 1 for "Their Students Never Study". Dont fool yourself into thinking this is some kind of coincidence. Neither of these titles positively contribute to the IMAGE of the university. Whether or not this image is true or if everyone "parties hard and studies hard" is irrelevant because it wont change the ranking. I would much rather prefer NOT having that ranking because then an explanation wouldn't even be necessary. The simple fact that UF has the double whammy of being number 1 in both rankings is enough for "outsiders" and employers outside of the Florida and SE USA job markets to raise an eyebrow.

However, im not saying its bad to party or celebrate, but it certainly is not good to be "known" for it. I think its the attitude that a large amount of students have towards partying, that it is almost a necessity, honor, and rite of passage, that leads the Princeton Review to being so willing to place UF at the top of the list. And while Im sure most of us here are exceptional and are able to lead balanced lives and keep everything in focus, its the majority that is to blame. As long as this majority glorifies parties UF will be somewhere on those lists.
  • dvm258dvm258 Registered User Posts: 1,062 Senior Member
    In a reference to my previous post on another UF thread yesterday, I think we know now why UF always receives such low peer assessment scores.

BTW, where is SSobick in all of this? He's usually the first to post any news.....the good news anyway.
  • ChamilitaryMayneChamilitaryMayne Registered User Posts: 781 Member
    This is bad publicity. Like someone said earlier, I have a hard time believing that we are the #1 party school and students never study. I personally don't know anyone who doesn't study. I always hear people talking about tests and school work. The libraries are often packed. Who creates these rankings anyway?
  • shinichi1419shinichi1419 Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    Princeton review, and I'm sure it's very biased because they might have surveyed a lot of partiers and not people who studied?

Somehow the #1 party + least study don't tie together with #49 national university and #13 (i believe) top public university in US.
  • dvm258dvm258 Registered User Posts: 1,062 Senior Member
    Maybe it made #1 for the least studying because its students are already so smart they don't need to hit the books as much?

I can easily see the UF PR dept. spinning the story this way.

(UCF is #14 on the list, and FSU is #10. Are Florida public college students really that lazy?)

U-Miami didn't even make the "least likely to study" list. Instead, the made the lists for "most race/class interaction," "most diverse," and "best athletic facilities." Those rankings actually make sense to me though.
This discussion has been closed.