Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

New 2009 Freshmen Profile

Replies to: New 2009 Freshmen Profile

• aforautumnaforautumn Registered User Posts: 1,381 Senior Member
    thats obviously true. i dont think its as big of a change as you make it out to be. after all, i'm talking about the middle 50%. the main group affected by ivy admissions would be the top 25%. I dont have the numbers of course, but i think its safe to say the change incurred is nominal--say, the range for ACT might go down one point, but not more than that.

on another note, dartmouth has slightly higher SAT scores i think, and certainly has greater admission standards besides scores and GPA. regardless, i still think being almost on par stat-wise, and with a much larger population, is impressive.
  • SSobickSSobick Registered User Posts: 2,331 Senior Member
    "UF was and is still a back-up school for some of the higher stats kids that will eventually enroll at some of the OOS elite schools. Now, if UF was funded like it should be, then its rankings will rise to the caliber of student it attracts, however, that is unfortunately not the case at the moment. "

Disagree - Not for Florida best & brightest

Funding level should also increase with added tuition differential.

Also it's not unreasonable to predict that the Accepted median will be on par with the Enrolled.
  • anonymousposter234anonymousposter234 Registered User Posts: 285 Junior Member
    It's unfair to compare UF to private institutions such as Dartmouth when UF is a public university with one of the lowest tuitions in country.

It would be fairer to compare UF to the top public schools, such as UNC CH or any of the Cals.
  • gpowsanggpowsang Registered User Posts: 833 Member
    the 25th percentile of the ACT being 29 this year means that a vast majority of those accepted were in the 90+ Percentile of ACT test takers

thats damn good
    @dabigdawg72:
    you misunderstood the comparison.
    We do not know what the Enrolled statistics will be. But we do know for sure that UF had an amazing bump in numbers over last year. This is coming despite the state economy and the added tuition differential charges.

However I think alot of this has to do with UF being ranked the 2nd best value in all of higher-education.

Oh by the way we are also the overwhelming favorite to repeat as D1 Football National Champions.
  • rsxwheeeeeersxwheeeeee Registered User Posts: 1,269 Senior Member
    3rd GPA rung
    2nd SAT rung

no idea for SoS.

OOS

>_>
    tebow is a god
  • Jman2306Jman2306 Registered User Posts: 2,489 Senior Member
    of the 12 or so people at my school that were accepted to UF, only 2 of us had a 29 or higher ACT score.
    ^ I think UF is getting most of its high stats students from Broward County.

Miami Dade and Palm Beach Counties also have some of the strongest students in the state.

The rural areas have easier standards.
  • tomslawskytomslawsky Registered User Posts: 1,378 Senior Member
    The ENROLLED numbers for 2008 are:

SAT Admitted: 1305
    SAT Enrolled: 1270 (1160-1380)

I'm guessing the enrolled numbers for 2009 will be ~30 points SAT to 1300 and 1 point ACT to 29. In 2009, the accepted SAT average on a 1600 scale is ~1335. Maintaing the same 35 point spread between admitted and enrolled from 2008, the average enrolled SAT score should break the 1300 mark.

This, in my opinion lends the UF student body among the lower level of "Elite" and superior to the student bodies of the schools ranked around UF by USNEWS. Then again, I feel UF is underranked by at least 15 slots.
    ^ I agree

Our Peer Assessment Score should be higher. We have spent billions to build up our research facilities over the last decade.
    I think UF should be up there with UIUC and the University of Wisconsin.
  • xNYerxNYer Registered User Posts: 454 Member
    The new National Research Council (NRC) study is completed.

There is a direct correlation between your NRC score and your Peer Assessment score.
    This report ranks graduate programs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_National_Research_Council_rankings

The report is however stuck in its last phase right now. Should have been out in 2005.

Assessment of Research-Doctorate Programs

You can see the 1995 rankings at that site.
    All of the monies invested by UF in research will show up there.
    Eventually!
  • ag54ag54 Registered User Posts: 2,909 Senior Member
    Peer Assessment is a joke as evidenced by the Clemson debacle (errr - debate) going on right now.

Check articles in Inside Higher Ed

News: 'Manipulating,' Er, Influencing 'U.S. News' - Inside Higher Ed
    And to actual gasps from some members of the audience, Watt said that Clemson officials, in filling out the reputational survey form for presidents, rate "all programs other than Clemson below average," to make the university look better. "And I'm confident my president is not the only one who does that," Watt said.

That's the way to up your school's peer assessment! Game the system by ranking everyone, even Harvard, below yours!!
This discussion has been closed.