Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

New 2009 Freshmen Profile

13»

Replies to: New 2009 Freshmen Profile

• SSobickSSobick Registered User Posts: 2,331 Senior Member
    I believe that UF gets a bad rap for its Peer Assessment Score because it is located below the Mason Dixon Line. These old dinosaur administrators have no idea how far the south has developed. They still believe that the Midwest, the Northeast, and California are the only places that can produe tangible research.

Can't wait for the 2010 Census to come out!

The ironic part is that Florida isn't even southern anymore (and yet we still take it in the shorts because of our past).
  • xNYerxNYer Registered User Posts: 454 Member
    Great article ag.
    The blueprint has been set by Auburn for UF to rise amongst the publics!

They seem to have hit on all the low hanging fruit that USNWR has left out there;
    Peer Assesment, Faculty Salary, Class Size, Top 10%,Faculty Ratio, etc.

I especially loved this quote:
    "We have walked the fine line between illegal, unethical, and really interesting.”
  • Invictus8Invictus8 Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    SSobick wrote:
    I believe that UF gets a bad rap for its Peer Assessment Score because it is located below the Mason Dixon Line.

Perhaps to an extent, but I believe it has more to do with Florida public schools performing extremely poorly and most of the student body being comprised of Florida students.
    The median SAT for all graduating Florida seniors is only a 990.

Whereas the median SAT for the University of Florida is well over 1,300 this year.

If anything our Peer Assessment Score should get high marks for being so much better than the Florida median.
    "The blueprint has been set by Auburn for UF to rise amongst the publics!"

Did you actually mean Clemson?
  • xNYerxNYer Registered User Posts: 454 Member
    Yup, Clemson.
    Have no idea where I got Auburn from other than I hate Auburn more than Clemson.
    Speaking football of course.
    Well I think we do not have to follow Clemson's path. The University of Florida is damn strong in research and our graduate programs are some of the top in the South East.
  • andyboy23andyboy23 Registered User Posts: 210 Junior Member
    The writing section is useless. It means absolutely nothing. Your writing should be portrayed best in your college essays. I got a 790 on the writing section. But it means absolute ****..... How can you expect someone to write something of high quality in 25 minutes? The writing section is basically something for someone to brag about if they didn't do as well in the 2 most important sections (math and CR)...
  • Hockey07Hockey07 Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    The writing section is useless. It means absolutely nothing. Your writing should be portrayed best in your college essays. I got a 790 on the writing section. But it means absolute ****..... How can you expect someone to write something of high quality in 25 minutes? The writing section is basically something for someone to brag about if they didn't do as well in the 2 most important sections (math and CR)...

You, like many others, are confusing the writing MC section with the essay section. They're very different. I agree that the essay is pretty much useless, but the writing MC section tests grammar. I'm amazed that so many people have trouble writing sentences with proper grammar.
  • FLGuy22FLGuy22 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I dont know if you have seen, but UF admissions has a fan page on FB.
    [url=http://www.****/pages/Gainesville-FL/University-of-Florida-Admissions/152323355807]University of Florida Admissions | Facebook[/url]
    Maybe we can all get some brownies points but becoming fans LOL.
    Good to see UF admissions being proactive. Bottomline we need more out-of-state students.
  • admitoneadmitone Registered User Posts: 377 Member
    Someone is drinking some SERIOUS Koolaid if they think UF is even remotely close to Dartmouth's selectivity. Dartmouth is a ridiculously selective school like Brown and Columbia. Florida is a in increasingly selective school like Texas, Wisconsin, or UCSD. Totally different levels, like crazily different levels.

Dartmouth College class of 2013 class profile
    Acceptance Rate: 12.0%
    Middle 50% of class SAT scores: 2020 – 2330
    Average SAT (M+V): 1457
    Average ACT: 32
    % in top decile 91.2%
    % valedictorians 29.4%
    % salutatorians 10.9%

University of Florida class of 2013 Class profile
    Acceptance Rate: 39.3%
    Middle 50% of class SAT scores: 1930 - 2060
    Average SAT (M+V): 1260
    Average ACT: 30

All data from common data set and school websites:
  • JOKER23JOKER23 Registered User Posts: 565 Member
    thats weird, the average SAT score for math and reading is 1260 but the one for all three sections is way higher.
  • slipper1234slipper1234 Registered User Posts: 9,084 Senior Member
    Probably because one is for the median and the other is a mean. Median scores tend to be 40-50 points higher.
13»
This discussion has been closed.