Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Dorm Break-Ins

AWhitey2291AWhitey2291 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
edited July 2009 in University of Florida
How often (if at all) do people's dorm rooms get broken into during the school year in a situation where the dorm was locked up properly and everything? I ask because I'm going to stay in rawlings on the first floor, and honestly, the windows look pretty easy to break, lol.
Post edited by AWhitey2291 on

Replies to: Dorm Break-Ins

• aforautumnaforautumn Registered User Posts: 1,381 Senior Member
    http://www.police.ufl.edu/pdf_files/2006/UFPD%20Safe%20Campus-9.pdf

dunno if housing has its own numbers, and a number of burglaries are likely not related to dorms. even more, i imagine most of them are not random at all, and may be the result of not locking doors.
  • SSobickSSobick Registered User Posts: 2,331 Senior Member
    UF is a safe campus. Even still not a bad idea to lock up your dorms.
  • rsala004rsala004 Registered User Posts: 827 Member
    last week there was an armed robbery on campus, twice

one guy got kicked in his face.
  • danny_125danny_125 Registered User Posts: 783 Member
    How did you hear about the guy getting kicked in the face? That's nuts.
    the independent alligator, read all about it.

was in the paper last week, it happened at corry village(west of frat row) and also some guy walking ONCAMPUS..

http://www.alligator.org/articles/2009/07/14/news/local/090714_theft.txt

of course the guy called and canceled his cards before calling police
  • golferdudegolferdude Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I am not an expert - but I did talk with the police department and housing administrators and have older siblings at UF; and I am of the impression that the residence halls are essentially crime free.
  • ASMAJASMAJ Registered User Posts: 2,097 Senior Member
    I am not an expert - but I did talk with the police department and housing administrators and have older siblings at UF; and I am of the impression that the residence halls are essentially crime free.

Pretty much. Things happen here and there, but for the most part its safe. I would leave my door open when I went to take a shower, or went to the kitchen/lounge.
  • mbrosman3mbrosman3 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    I live in Hume, you need to use a swipe card two times to get into the hall and your floor, which only works for your own floor. Doors lock automatically and there is also a deadbolt in the door, so break-ins are virtually impossible here...unless you leave your dorm room open and unattended. Don't think most of the older dorms have this feature, though.
    if you live in the apartments oncampus like i do, there is no such feature you only need a key......well really you dont even need that, i always come home to find my door unlocked.

(we have 4 people in here, someone is ALWAYS bound to forget to lock, basically forget security)
    but we all have rooms with locks, which is somewhat a pain..happens often that we have to call an RA because we are locked out of our room.)
  • ASMAJASMAJ Registered User Posts: 2,097 Senior Member
    (we have 4 people in here, someone is ALWAYS bound to forget to lock, basically forget security)
    but we all have rooms with locks, which is somewhat a pain..happens often that we have to call an RA because we are locked out of our room.)

Have you checked the side. Usually those doors have a switch where you can choose for it to always be locked or always open (unless locked with a key).
This discussion has been closed.