Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Retake Calculus For Pre-Med/Undecided or AP credit???!!!

tharealnesstharealness Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
edited July 2009 in University of Florida
I'm undecided for a major but considering doing medical school. That's most likely for me right now but that's not saying much as it could easily change. I'm going to be a freshman this fall

I got a 5 on the AP Calculus AB exam which gives me credit for "Analytical Geometry & Calculus 1"(a single 4 credit course). Now, most have told me I should take Analytical Geometry & Calculus 1 anyways for many reasons, because Analytical Geometry & Calculus 2 may be too hard, medical schools will not like if I use an AP credit rather than taking the course(which will lower my chance of admission to a medical school). But I feel like I'm wasting a perfectly good credit. What should I do?
Post edited by tharealness on

Replies to: Retake Calculus For Pre-Med/Undecided or AP credit???!!!

• aforautumnaforautumn Registered User Posts: 1,381 Senior Member
    unless you're really set on pushing yourself/graduating early, you're better off getting an A+ than jumping ahead
  • sbrady1028sbrady1028 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    it's really your choice. i'm in the same boat. i got a 5 and am debating on whether or not to repeat it for medical school. after enough research and talking with enough advisors and people, i decided to go ahead and do calc 2. medical schools say they don't like when you use ap credits (but that is mainly for the sciences). but if a med school sees you AP'd out of calc 1, but took calc 2 at the college level, it is not going to affect you negatively. rather, if you just used your ap calc credit to get yourself exempt from calc 1 and then you never took another math course, that will go against you undoubtedly.
    so it is basically your choice. with a 5, you are definitely ready to go on to calc 2. let me know what you decide :)
  • IntangibleGatorIntangibleGator Registered User Posts: 398 Member
    If I AP out of Calc 1 and Calc 2 will that be detrimental to a med school application?

I have no intention of taking Calc 3.
  • sbrady1028sbrady1028 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    IntangibleGator: Yes it would. They want to see AT THE LEAST 1 semester of calculus at the college level. You don't have to retake both, but i suggest retaking calc 2...or if you really think you can do it, take calc 3.
  • Gator613Gator613 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    I've heard (from the College of Engineering) that Calc 3 is the easiest course in the calc series at UF. Taking calc 3 might not be such a bad idea, if that's the case.
  • ASMAJASMAJ Registered User Posts: 2,097 Senior Member
    Why not just take Calc 1 and get the easy A. Med schools dont really care which calc you take. Only 2 or 3 schools required Calc 2. Most just take Calc 1 and stats 1. People who take Calc 2 (and higher) and Stats 2 usually require it for their major.
  • GoldwaterGoldwater Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    I would caution anyone from taking calc I as an easy A, because sometimes it's really not. It depends on the professor and how they test. This is true for any general course.
  • AWhitey2291AWhitey2291 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Personally, I'm doing pre-med as well and I'm just going to take calc 3. I got a 5 on the calc BC exam and i know all the material so i see no reason to retake either calc 1 or calc 2. Plus since calc 3 is a higher level class I don't have to worry about it being a weed out class, and regardless, I've always heard that calc 2 is the hardest of the 3: calc 3 is supposedly the same stuff as calc 1 only in 3 dimensions, whereas calc 2 is all that series and sumation stuff.
  • tharealnesstharealness Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    i'll probably take calc 1, sbrady.
This discussion has been closed.