Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

New State Law = Avoid bookstore gouging

xNYerxNYer Registered User Posts: 454 Member
edited July 2009 in University of Florida
New State Law = Avoid bookstore gouging
A new Florida law could have college students flocking to the Internet for textbooks instead of the campus bookstore.
Public colleges and universities must publish a list of required texts at least 30 days before the semester starts, giving students ample time to scour eBay, Craigslist or Amazon for new or used books at discounted prices.
Florida lawmakers adopted the textbook affordability law last spring after reviewing government reports that showed textbook prices increased at twice the rate of inflation over the past two decades. The law:
- Prohibits college faculty from receiving payments in exchange for requiring students to purchase a specific textbook.
- Allows college employees to earn royalties or compensation from sales of textbooks that include their own work, and also collect fees for reviewing or critiquing texts.
- Requires instructors or departments to verify each item in a bundled textbook package, such as a workbook or CD, will be used during the course.
- Requires colleges post a list of textbooks required for each course at least 30 days in advance.
LINK: State law allows students avoid campus bookstore | news-press.com | The News-Press

Now if they could only do the same with some of the apartment complexes!
Post edited by xNYer on

Replies to: New State Law = Avoid bookstore gouging

• afa81afa81 Registered User Posts: 417 Member
    We have been buying on line for years, but the one time use CD with a code are the real problem. These CDs only come with new books. Three times I could have bought a book used, but had to pay 30- 50 dollars more for new to buy the CD with the one time code.
  • xNYerxNYer Registered User Posts: 454 Member
    "Requires instructors or departments to verify each item in a bundled textbook package, such as a workbook or CD, will be used during the course."

You are only stuck IF they actually use it.
  • technol21technol21 Registered User Posts: 917 Member
    but the one time use CD with a code are the real problem. These CDs only come with new books.

I'm still trying to figure out how this works since 2 of my classes require a package like this. Are there required quizzes or exclusive course material on these sites. Why wouldn't the textbook alone be sufficient?
  • poeticlicensepoeticlicense Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    It's because the keycode allows you to access and in some cases download a client where you have to submit homework or do homework online. It's also how your instructor communicates grades, etc to youyUnfortunately, unless the instructor doesn't use the online part, you have to get the keycode. Not many still have you hand in paper copies of homework.
  • afa81afa81 Registered User Posts: 417 Member
    poet hit nail on the head

Son needed the keycode to do homework.
  • goufgatorsgoufgators Registered User Posts: 625 Member
  • mystifiremystifire Registered User Posts: 178 Junior Member
    this law is fabulous. "Required" Texts lists, the bookstore, new/old editions, online access codes, and used/new book shopping drama in general is what has sucked away more money from me than anything except parking tickets and towing at UF.
  • golferdudegolferdude Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I read an article someplace about a new trend of textbook renting? It was a while ago and I don't remember where. Does anyone know anything about this?
This discussion has been closed.