Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I must be missing something

WynGatorWynGator Registered User Posts: 31 New Member
edited July 2009 in University of Florida
Sorry, if this topic has been addressed but after returning from preview I am still a bit unclear about the Gator 1 Central Card. I noticed a big push to open a Wachovia account. I do not bank at Wachovia and decided not to open an account for my daughter. We have BOA and they have an ATM in the Reitz Union so I am not too concerned about her access to cash.

What I am confused about is all the talk about "loading $$ onto your Gator 1 card". Unless I am completely off base, I am under the impression that the Gator 1 card is simply a UF id if you chose not to tie it in with a Wachovia account. So in my case there is no way nor no need to load money onto that card.

When my daughter chooses to shop at the Gator book store or eat anywhere on campus I told her to just use her regular debit card for all purchases. I am guessing/hoping that debit cards are accepted at all point of sale locations on the campus. Can you use debit cards for the laundry machines and/or vending machines? If not, I guess that is when she will need the cash.
Post edited by WynGator on

Replies to: I must be missing something

• mbrosman3mbrosman3 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    The "loading $$ onto the Gator 1 card" is just talking about the whole Wachovia connection...they basically are saying that if you open with Wachovia, you can have your Gator 1 function as a debit card.

However, the *other* thing they are talking about is your "vending account" on the Gator 1 card. The Gator 1 has the ability to (a) be a debit card with Wachovia, (b) be loaded with a meal plan with flex bucks or simply a declining balance account, and/or (c) serve as a vending card, which you can use for laundry and vending machines. To put vending money on your card, you just go to Gator 1 Central online, and you can easily make an electronic transfer to your card.

By the way, I don't think that the laundry machines/vending machines can take a bank's debit card...there is a card reader there, but I think it's only for the Gator 1. Obviously they can be coin/dollar operated as well. Hope this helps
  • gthopefulgthopeful Registered User Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    I know this isn't the point of your post, but my parents bank with BoA and I bank with Wachovia. I can say hands down BoA is worse in terms of customer service and services. Even simple things BoA can be really stubborn about; for example, the last time I tried to cash in savings bonds they would only let me do 10 a day. The next time, I went to Wachovia and cashed in 30 something at the same time and with no complaints.
  • mystifiremystifire Registered User Posts: 178 Junior Member
    You are NOT off base. You are NOT confused. You do not NEED to load money on a gator 1. I opened a wachovia account at preview and have a debit card for that account but also linked my gator 1 to it. I have never ever used the gator 1 instead of the debit card. You can easily put declining balance money on your gator 1 and you dont need wachovia to do that. I never have ever done that because i had a meal plan and got piles of "flexbucks" which is another name for money in declining balance that comes with a mealplan. Plus, everywhere that accepts money from declining balance accepts a credit card anyway.

UF pushes everyone to open a wachovia account. Welcome to UF. They will push tons of more things on you like those $10 dorm area activity cards and membership in the student alumni association and make you feel like a complete fool for not participating. You are not missing something. You are just rationally realizing that the "conveniences" UF illustrates as desperate needs are really just trivial things.

Vending machines and laundry are the ONLY exceptions. You can load money onto your "vending account" for gator 1 so you can use it at vending and laundry machines instead of carrying coins/cash. Both these machines also accept cash but do not accept credit cards.
  • FL317FL317 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    We, too, have banked with BOA for many years. Unfortunately, Gainesville doesn't seem to have a bank on every corner like we do in South Florida, so we opened a Wachovia account for our son. It is MUCH more convenient using a bank located on campus if a check needs to be cashed. Trying to find the one and only BOA wasn't easy.
  • rsala004rsala004 Registered User Posts: 827 Member
    i might be wrong but the nearest BOA go 10 minutes west of I-75 down archer..thats not so close.
  • ASMAJASMAJ Registered User Posts: 2,097 Senior Member
    It is MUCH more convenient using a bank located on campus if a check needs to be cashed.

He can deposit the checks (or cash) in the BOA ATMs in the bookstore.
    i might be wrong but the nearest BOA go 10 minutes west of I-75 down archer..thats not so close.

There is also one of university ave. head to downtown.
  • WynGatorWynGator Registered User Posts: 31 New Member
    Thanks to all for the clarification. I am now more comfortable with my decision to keep our BOA account. Yes, I just googled and saw there is a BOA right on University Blvd. just east of 13th street (441) so that is pretty close as ASMAJ said. Also, really I can't imagine her having to actually access a branch location since the types of banking that she will need (ie, cash withdrawls and deposits) can be handled at the ATM.

Mystifire hit the nail on the head for me. I did feel a HUGE push to open the Wachovia account. I already have banking relationships with 3 other major banks and didn't want to add a 4th. Sticking with BOA makes it easier for me because I do most of my banking online anyway so I can check on my daughter's accounts and move money between accounts as neccessary.

Thanks again to all who took the time to reply and help me out. :)
This discussion has been closed.