Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Does your choice of major affect your admission?

Socratic ThoughtSocratic Thought - Posts: 48 Junior Member
edited July 2009 in University of Florida
I heard that picking undecided can and will most likely hurt your chances because UF wants their students to have an idea of what they want to do. I have also heard that picking a major that is a social science like political science will give a better shot than picking a major in business or engineering. Is any of this true?
Post edited by Socratic Thought on

Replies to: Does your choice of major affect your admission?

• aforautumnaforautumn Registered User Posts: 1,381 Senior Member
    officially, no. to answer the first question, it sounds like it might, so go ahead and declare a major because it can do no harm and you're better safe than sorry. as for the the second question, thats not true. they make it pretty clear from admissions/other interactions i've had with them that major doesn't mean a whole lot, especially considering over 60% of students change their major at least once.
  • vincanity1vincanity1 Registered User Posts: 898 Member
    No, it doesn't matter. Only time your choice of major matters in admissions is when you're applying as a transfer student and are attempting to enter a particular school or program. If you're essay virtually has no bearing on admission, why would your tentative choice of major?
This discussion has been closed.