Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What are some negatives for U of florida?

GoOaklandGoOakland Registered User Posts: 350 Member
edited September 2009 in University of Florida
I'm going into nuclear engineering and I have a list of about 12 colleges right now. I want to reduce the list to 8 or 9. So I want to find out some negatives on each college to help narrow it down. I can find positives for Florida all day long. Its the negatives I can't find easily. So what are some negatives?

I'd also appreciate any advice if you care to give any.

O and I am OOS... just for the record.
Post edited by GoOakland on

Replies to: What are some negatives for U of florida?

• rsala004rsala004 Registered User Posts: 827 Member
    the chairs in the class room are uncomfortable.
  • danny_125danny_125 Registered User Posts: 783 Member
    I concur....
  • Gatordad77Gatordad77 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    Class sizes are large, espeicially in freshman and sophomore classes. Traffic is horrible, campus is overcrowded. Overall, too many people for too little space. State of Florida is struggling, causing funding cutbacks throughout. Large university creates huge bureaucracy that is hard to navigate. I have found that University administration is more impersonal than other universities we visited (UNC-Chapel Hill, University of South Carolina, Clemson).

These are the negatives, but you are correct in that there are many positives. I am an alum and my daughter is a freshman and loves it. Just be ready to deal with the above and you will do fine.
  • gpowsanggpowsang Registered User Posts: 833 Member
    The main negative I have seen so far is that some class sizes can be a bit large. My Calculus class has a good 200-250 students. Another bad thing (I believe) is the lack of good, healthy food at a REASONABLE price (although, this can turn into a "benefits/negatives" of having a meal plan debate).

But aside from that, I personally cannot think of other negatives. The faculty (from what I have had experience with) are helpful during their office hours, here are PLENTY of resources at the student's disposal, there are COUNTLESS. This is just a few of many positives you have probably heard.

In regards to what Gatordad77 wrote. I personally do not find this university to be overcrowded. Although it is physically true, you will find yourself running into people a lot outside of class and have plenty of opportunities to meet new people.

Hope this helped.

gpowsang
  • zebeszebes Registered User Posts: 1,326 Senior Member
    One negative we've noticed, and our D's a freshman and loving UF, is that you do not have priority registration if you are in the Honors program, except for one honors class. With other university honors programs that we looked at, you have total priority (which is a huge deal when a university is this large). However, at UF, you only have priority for the one honors course you take. Everything else, you're on your own. This, however, was definitely not enough to deter her from going to UF, but she does hear from peers who's scheduling lives are far, far easier. :)

zebes
  • GoOaklandGoOakland Registered User Posts: 350 Member
    Large classes are intimidating but I think I can get over that.

Overcrowdness can be annoying but I can get over that too. I mean since I am OOS I need to meet people and being in close proximities will only help me meet others. So in a way thats not so bad.

I'm not sure if I will even get into the honoras program. And if I could get in then I don't really know if I would want to. The added pressure of honors on top of an engineering curriculum would be EXTREMELY tough. But that is good to know.
    Dont fret about being afraid of the pressure of honors college.

I have a sophomore friend in the honors college majoring in electrical engineering and he is fine. He does some tennis club and is an officer in an engineering honors society.

Its all time management

gpowsang
    Wow that is EXACTLY like me. I would do tennis and another club or two. Maybe honros program wont be so bad.
  • Hockey07Hockey07 Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    The honors program is basically nothing at UF. You have to take 4 honors classes over the span of 4 semesters, and you get to live in a nice dorm. I don't think there's anything at all which is time consuming about being in the honors program.
  • sunstrikersunstriker Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    Apparently admission into the honors program, and in that case, to the university itself, is extremely competitive now because of the many students who are staying in-state due to the state of the economy.
  • ZZZZaaacckZZZZaaacck Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    The dorms are pretty bad also.
  • Hockey07Hockey07 Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    The honors dorm isn't bad.
    Dorms should not really be a deciding factor.

Here is a link to the semester rates for all on-campus housing:
    Single Student Room Rental Rates 2009-2010 - UF | Housing & Residence Education

From their you can navigate to individual dorms to see what they are like.

gpowsang
  • bffbff Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    This year, some freshman classes have between 500-700 students. The professors don't know whether you are there or not, so it is up to you to be self-motivated. Fraternities and sororities are very strong in both social life and student government. If you are intimidated by crowds or rebel against group-think, UF might be tough for you.

That being said, the engineering program is extremely competitive and has a great reputation. Most of the kids at UF are very bright, but know how to have a good time too. It's a really fun place to get a good education.
    I read that UF has 3% OOS. Should I even bother applying? I mean 3% is straight up horrible and I don't even know if I would do so hot int he apllication process anyway.

Heres a thread Is started about my profile:http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/739342-will-combination-slight-blemishes-screw-me-over.html

Or since UF is only a $30 fee should I might as well go for it?
This discussion has been closed.