Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How hard would it be to transfer from Mechanical Engineering to LAS CS+X or CS+Math/Stats?

kermit777kermit777 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
Hello everyone, I was admitted into Mechanical Engineering, but I've also have been entertaining the thought of going into CS instead... I've heard that a very large portion of students in engineering at UIUC change majors... How hard would it be for me to get into an LAS CS program? (Note, this isn't CS in engineering, which is reputedly much harder than CS LAS to get into)

Replies to: How hard would it be to transfer from Mechanical Engineering to LAS CS+X or CS+Math/Stats?

• literallymarxliterallymarx Registered User Posts: 196 Junior Member
    still extremely hard, CS is overflowing. If you want to do CS go somewhere else.
  • kermit777kermit777 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I thought that CS+X wasn't so tough to get in initially... I don't want to make generalizations, but I the general profile of CS+X students didn't seem to be noticeably better than non-CS engineering department students...
  • galaxywatchergalaxywatcher Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    It's very hard to transfer to any CS program including CS + X programs. Getting into CS Engineering through transfer is considered super hard. Also, general profile that just shows SAT/ACT scores and GPAs is a not a very good measurement for assessing CS+X students as CS Department does a holistic review of applications during the admission process.
    afaik they don't release general profiles of majors, maybe LAS as a whole?

But yeah, transferring into any CS is extremely difficult. The best advice is to get as high grades as possible and get involved with some CS clubs and projects. But I highly advise against trying to transfer into CS.
  • kermit777kermit777 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Trying never hurts...
    Eh, thats not really true.

If you want testimonials, check out the r/uiuc subreddit and search "transfer to cs". The amount of stress involved is huge, and even people with 4.0 GPAs get denied. If you're feeling lucky go ahead, but be prepared to have to potentially transfer schools if you want to do CS and can't get into the department.