Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UIUC v. Maryland Business

univerCityuniverCity Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
Guys,

I am trying to decide between Maryland and UIUC for business. What do you guys think. I know that UIUC is better ranked and everything, but Maryland's distance to D.C. is a plus. I just don't know how big of a plus it should be.
Post edited by univerCity on

Replies to: UIUC v. Maryland Business

• sushi cuttersushi cutter Registered User Posts: 238 Junior Member
    i am wondering the same thing :/
    anyone help us out?
  • GoIlliniGoIllini Registered User Posts: 348 Member
    UIUC, Chicago is better than DC
  • boneh3adboneh3ad Forum Champion Engineering Posts: 7,347 Forum Champion
    Way to be impartial there GoIllini.

Personally, I would prefer DC to Chicago.
  • regzaregza Registered User Posts: 51 Junior Member
    I want to know as well.
    What makes U of I superior to other colleges closer to the major cities?
    I guess Chicago is only few hours away, but there are other colleges closer to Chicago than U of I.
  • bruins138bruins138 Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    Well for one, Illinois' Business school is one of the best in the nation overall, and second among public schools to UMichigan. Also, Illinois is in Urbana, which is 2.5-3 hours away from Chicago and DC is an hour away from College Park... so comparing the two cities isn't very helpful.
  • AnnapolisAnnapolis Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Maryland is a very urban campus and DC is 30 mins away by train. UIUC is far more of a rural setting and Chicago is a 2.5-3 hr drive. We have visited both schools and they have a different feel to them. Go visit before you make your decision.
  • sushi cuttersushi cutter Registered User Posts: 238 Junior Member
    i heard that UIUC has better job placement...which UMD is somewhat iffy on
  • jax90291jax90291 Registered User Posts: 571 Member
    i have heard that uiuc business is really only deserving of the high ranks in accountancy, and the rest of the departments are merely average. anyone think that's true?
  • sang54sang54 Registered User Posts: 656 Member
    Most of the majors, including finance, are top 10 according to US News.
  • boneh3adboneh3ad Forum Champion Engineering Posts: 7,347 Forum Champion
    A) U.S. News is not necessarily the best indicator of program strength, which has been said 1,000,000 times before. It is a good resource, but not the end-all be-all.

B) Accountancy is certainly worthy of its ranking, and I have great respect for the people in that program here at UIUC. Finance, IMO, is also deserving of its rank. Once again, all the people I have dealt with in Finance are very capable. Business Administration and Marketing, however, seem to both be pretty run of the mill based on most of the people with whom I have dealt. Maybe that is just the people though, and not the program.

C) A program is what you make of it. You can get a great education at a middle of the road school if you really want it.
This discussion has been closed.