Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How hard is it to transfer into engineering?

pykim77pykim77 Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
I've been denied to college of engineering at U of I and was placed into division of general studies. I've been accepted to UW-Madison and Georgia Tech. However, I still cannot get U of I out of my mind because I live in Illinois and would still love to go there. I was thinking about just going to another college and trying to transfer after my first year just to be safe. But I would still go to U of I if transferring into engineering is not extremely hard. So I was wondering how hard it would be to transfer into the college of engineering from the general studies.
Post edited by pykim77 on

Replies to: How hard is it to transfer into engineering?

• SolidSnake961SolidSnake961 Registered User Posts: 172 Junior Member
    There are specific requirements depending on what major you want to transfer in. See the whatever major's website for info on that. Supposedly, transferring into engineering is easier than transferring into the college of business. I think you need a 3.2 or something at u of i. See the website.
  • collegebound7778collegebound7778 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    i heard it was "relatively" easy i talked to an advisor and off the top of his head only 50 transfered last year into engineering from DGS
    that is small considering there is 3500 in general studies

im choosing/transfering to another school to transfer to after hearing this

edit: business is harder to get into btw
  • drusbadrusba Registered User Posts: 9,404 Senior Member
    There are minimum GPAs to be considered for a transfer and the minimum varies by major but is in the 3 to 3.3 range for most. You also need to meet course requirements -- in other words, you need to take the chem, phys, and math courses that incoming engineering students take. Having minimum GPA and meeting course requirements does not guarantee transfer and a higher GPA might be needed to actually get in particularly for a popular program such as computer engineering. It can be difficult to meet the requirements because it can be difficult to get needed grades in a number of your first to second year math, chem, and physics courses (some of those courses can see 30% getting D's or worse and another 15% dropping the course to avoid getting that D or worse). Nevertheless, if you do meet them, your chances of transfer are pretty good and much better than for the business school. How many can transfer depends on number of spaces available. When students go to transfer to Business in, say, beginning of junior year, there are often not a large number of spaces open because the Business school does not have a high rate attrition where freshman and sophomores leave it. The engineering college is the opposite; it has a high rate of attrition, thus opening up a lot more chairs to be filled by transfers.
  • collegebound7778collegebound7778 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    drusba has a pretty accurate assement
This discussion has been closed.