Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is the accepting rate increase this year?

bearhoodbearhood Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
According to my observation, everybody I know apply for UIUC is accepted. though I don't know their majors. So is UIUC going to increase enrollment this year? I guess yes but not dramatically.

What do you think?

And are business and engineering schools much harder to get into?
Post edited by bearhood on

Replies to: Is the accepting rate increase this year?

• ZobasityZobasity Registered User Posts: 206 Junior Member
    I also obsereved the same thing at my school. Also I know of many real weak applicants who got into good majors like business, It just made me loose interest in the school.
  • iwoticiwotic Registered User Posts: 195 Junior Member
    That`s weird from my perspective because this year, students from my high school got rejected alot more than last year, eventhough they have the similar score.
  • drusbadrusba Registered User Posts: 9,216 Senior Member
    Last year they over-enrolled (more chose to attend than they estimated would do so). Thus, they intended to lower rate of admission a little this year. On top of that it appears applications went up about 8% this year. Official figures not available yet but admission rate should be lower this year from last.

Business has the lowest admission rate, usually in low 40% range. Engineering usually has one of the higher admission rates, often close to 70%. However, it has the highest middle 50% range -- vast majority of those who apply for engineering are in or above its middle 50% range.
  • bearhoodbearhood Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Oh,lower, really?

Then I think I am lucky
  • LoonLakeLoonLake - Posts: 913 Member
    I thought it was higher too... I don't know of anyone who applied from my school who got rejected. And a lot of them were like top 40%...
  • sang54sang54 Registered User Posts: 656 Member
    Hmm. A lot of people from my high school were rejected. I guess it really depends on the high school you went to.
  • Juice07Juice07 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    What were the act, gpa, and rank of the people that got in? Who you guys seemed shocked about.
  • LoonLakeLoonLake - Posts: 913 Member
    One of my best friends just got into the uiuc college of aviation OOS with a 3.07 GPA, top 45%, and 26 ACT. He had outstanding EC's though.
    And I believe that aviation is the easiest college at U of I to get into.

Most other people had 3.4-3.6.
  • kdmkdm Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    The admissions counselor at UIUC said to me that it was much more competitive this year. It's as someone said above, just depends where you came from.
This discussion has been closed.