Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

adimission question

vampire2008vampire2008 Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
Hi everyone, I have a question , this spring I want to transfer to the UIUC as sophomore standing , My major is math , and I am from China , but I am not the international transfer , actually I am a permanent resident in Nevada , I am attending college here , At the time of application I have 28 credits , and I have 7 credits more in progress , that is , I will have 35 credits at the end of the year ,so can I update my transcript ? i wonder that they will make a decision before I send my updated transcript. Do they still want the high school transcript ? ( It is so hard to get the high school transcripts from China and there are a lot troubles) , please help me, thank you !
the classes I took and I will take :
summer 2008 : ESL ---B

fall 2008 : 1. CALCULUS 1 ----A
3. ENGLISH ---C+

spring2009: 1.FINITE MATHEMATICS---A

fall 2009 : 1. CALCULUS III

My GPA is 3.6

Foreign language : Chinese , English , some Japanese . but I don't have TOEFL score .
so do you have a shot for the UIUC ?
Post edited by vampire2008 on

Replies to: adimission question

  • drusbadrusba Registered User Posts: 9,473 Senior Member
    You need 30 hours when you actually arrive but not for the decision and that needs to be 30 hours that are transferable, i.e., your course work must be recognized as equivalent to UIUC course work, that appears likely for enverything you have except possibly ESL which I assume means English as a second language. They will make decision based on your existing transcript with the 28 hours (with a caveat -- they sometimes may defer until they see end of semester transcript although that is not a likely event). If accepted, you will need to get in a final transcript before you begin classes.

    Yes, you must submit an official high school transcript. Moreover, for those transfering into sophomore year you must also submit an ACT or SAT test score. For those transfering into sophomore year they do use high school grades and test score as part of the evaluation process and preference is given to those who would likely have been admitted if they had applied freshman year. If you are applying as a permanent US resident you do not need Toeffl score. Existing grades indicate a good chance for acceptance.
  • vampire2008vampire2008 Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    Thank you for replying, drusba, It is very hard to get the HS transcript from my country and we don't offer the SAT and ACT test , so I never take it. However I saw the UIUC admission website , they say :Additional Information (optional): If you are unable to meet one or more of the transfer admissions requirements for your program, please explain. Or, is there any additional information you feel we should be aware of while reviewing your application, including extenuating circumstances that affected your academic record?
    I have a HS diploma from my country and there are my picture, school stamp and final grad (we use A,B,C,D) on it , but all Chinese there , so what should I do ?
    do you think it is OK ?
    so should I explain to them why I can't get my HS transcript ?
  • drusbadrusba Registered User Posts: 9,473 Senior Member
    Yours is one to which I do not know the answer. You should actually call admissions and try to talk to an admissions officer and explain the situation and see what they say before you go through the application process.
This discussion has been closed.