Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Best and Worst of Kentucky

2»

Replies to: Best and Worst of Kentucky

• deborahbdeborahb Registered User Posts: 317 Member
    @123monkey - I did not attend UK. I live in KY and I am a parent of a senior now. I have known probably a dozen or more kids who went to UK over the last 3-4 years. Most of them were in AP classes in high school. They report that the work is at much lower levels than what they had in high school and that students can miss many classes without impacting their grade and there isn't much homework. This is compared to high school, and also when UK students compare notes with kids from the nearby private schools, these conclusions are drawn among friends. The OP asked for opinions and that is all these comments are. UK is a huge school, and what one student experiences might be completely different from another.
  • 123Monkey123Monkey Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    @deborahb‌ thank you so much..
    my son loves learning, earned a 36 on ACT when he was 12 years old and was subsequently recruited and offered 2 full ride scholarship s to private prep High schools. He accepted one and after a shaky 1st year of adjustments he has thrived. He is well rounded, mature and nice guy and ambitious. He is awaiting word from some schools yet but his full ride offer to Kentucky is hard to pass up in this age of economic uncertainty. He also has a brother who I'll be going to college at same time. So money is very big consideration. Do you know whether any of the u. Of k . students you are familiar with went on to graduate studies after their undergraduate work? I'm wondering if anyone found those programs challenging. My son did college level genetic research in high school and is thinking of graduate school one day. Any more thoughts?
  • deborahbdeborahb Registered User Posts: 317 Member
    I don't really know, specifically, about that. I think that UK grads who work hard and make the most of opportunities are extraordinarily successful in grad school and the world. We have a friend graduating this spring and she has done just that - great internships for research, study abroad and is looking at some really great grad schools. I have no doubt she will be very successful and very well-prepared.
  • 123Monkey123Monkey Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    @deborahb‌ thanks much! My son is going andhe will do just that! I am thrilled for him.he will have opportunities there he wouldn't get anywhere else and he won't graduate with debt...
2»
This discussion has been closed.