Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What can you tell me about these programs?

EuroaznEuroazn - Posts: 1,171 Senior Member
I'm interested in the following (not necessarily combined) majors:
Finance
Mathematics
Comp Sci

Can anyone offer any info on them?
Here are some questions to start you off :p :
How are the Finance Fellows Programs? For example, the Lemma Senbet fund, Quantitative Finance Fellows, Accelerated Finance Fellows... etc.
How is Math 340/341? I took Multivariable calculus and ordinary differential equations 10th grade... would this class be difficult for me?
How is Mathematics of Finance?
What is a typical Statistics Track?
How are the comp sci exemption exams (in particular, Discrete Structures?)
How time intensive are classes in each of the programs... does this change over time?
How are the students in each of the programs? And how are the top students?
How is recruiting for students in each of the programs? And what about the top students?
Which classes from these majors offer H-Versions? Are they significantly better?

How is it that Testudo hasn't flown away yet? xD
Post edited by Euroazn on

Replies to: What can you tell me about these programs?

• EuroaznEuroazn - Posts: 1,171 Senior Member
    Also... how are the different honors/scholars programs? Any seminars that you liked?
  • astrophysicsmomastrophysicsmom Registered User Posts: 4,326 Senior Member
    The only input I can offer is regarding the Math classes.....if you've got a strong background, you probably won't find the math courses that difficult, but you will find that they are very time consuming. Unlike some other classes, from D1, she found it annoying that there was ALWAYS homework. She is/was a weirdo and always liked to work ahead in classes, but couldn't in math, because they hadn't covered the info yet. Therefore, she always had math homework looming over her. She's biased, however, and never enjoyed taking math just for the sake of taking math. Of course, all her classes now are VERY math based physics and astronomy classes. Her experience with Comp Sci was that as long as you didn't wait until the last minute to start working on assignments, the workload was doable (but she didn't take a lot of comp sci classes). In at least one of her classes, they did an interesting thing and to be able to run her programs to see if they were correct, there was a limited number of times you could do it in one 24-hour period. The people who waited until the last minute only had their 3 tries (or whatever it was) for the last day. However, people who started earlier had many more opportunities to test their code.

In general, you will likely find that as you go along, the workload gets more time consuming and difficult as the course material gets more difficult. That's pretty much expected for most classes in most subject areas, I think.
    Hi astrophysicsmom... how many "weird" students like your daughter are there... because I am slightly weird. lol.

Of course, you probably guessed that because I use CC...
    Bumpity Bump :)
    Also, one more question... for honors students... a) what are the reqs in terms of lectures/h-series and b) Are you required to take HONR 100? For example, if you got accepted into the Smith school, do you take Freshman Fellows or HONR 100? Or both?
  • Bornin92Bornin92 Registered User Posts: 332 Member
    If you're in University Honors, you need to have a 3.2 GPA and 15 Honors Credits (made up of Honors Seminars and H-Version classes, and at least 9 of them must be from Honors Seminars). I don't know about the Freshman Fellows question, but you do need an Honors Colloquium course which is usually HONR100.
    bumpity bump :)
  • atlee123atlee123 Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    you would do both bmgt110 and honr100 first semester freshman year
    Thanks ;) know anything about the other questions :)
  • ginab591ginab591 Registered User Posts: 1,068 Senior Member
    I've never heard of there being a GPA requirement for Honors. Where did you see that?
    On the Honors site under what you need to get the citation. UMD Honors - Current Students - University Honors Courses
    ..... can we get back to original question though :p
  • ginab591ginab591 Registered User Posts: 1,068 Senior Member
    Never heard about it, but since it's the same as the scholarship GPA I'm probably going to just forget it exists again.
    Bump please:
    how are the finance fellows programs? For example, the lemma senbet fund, quantitative finance fellows, accelerated finance fellows... Etc.
    How is math 340/341? I took multivariable calculus and ordinary differential equations 10th grade... Would this class be difficult for me?
    How is mathematics of finance?
    What is a typical statistics track?
    How are the comp sci exemption exams (in particular, discrete structures?)
    how time intensive are classes in each of the programs... Does this change over time?
    How are the students in each of the programs? And how are the top students?
    How is recruiting for students in each of the programs? And what about the top students?
    Which classes from these majors offer h-versions? Are they significantly better?
    The only thing I can help you with is the H-Versions. This is the list of all the H-Versions for the upcoming Spring semester. Honors College University of Maryland
This discussion has been closed.