Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Freshman Engineering Laptop?

metsfanfrog27metsfanfrog27 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
I'll be a freshman (civil/environmental engineering major) this fall and i've started doing some window shopping for a laptop. When I was on a tour, one of the engineering professors sugested getting a Mac although he said that windows computers work fine too. If I buy a Mac, it'll be my first time using one. Do any current students/parents of students have any advice as to whether it'll be worth it or not to learn how to use a Mac?

Also, should I buy the laptop thru UMD with their protection/warranty or buy it straight from Apple/somewhere else?

Thanks in advance
Post edited by metsfanfrog27 on

Replies to: Freshman Engineering Laptop?

• 33dmjjm33dmjjm Registered User Posts: 375 Member
    Kind of interesting...I am going to be a mechanical engineering major and I was told not to buy a mac because they cant run all the engineering programs. I was looking to buy my laptop from best buy because there is one close to campus and they also have a protection/warranty plan.that way when I away from campus I can still get it repaired.
  • metsfanfrog27metsfanfrog27 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Well that's strange. Could just be differences in the curriculum/personal preferences of who we spoke to. But i'll definitely send a few more emails before i make my final decision, thanks.
This discussion has been closed.