Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is laundry free?

TheFatAnorexicTheFatAnorexic User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 263 Junior Member
I'll be living in Queen Anne's, where a laundry mat will be located, if that makes any difference. Does it cost anything to do laundry? And if so, how much?
Post edited by TheFatAnorexic on

Replies to: Is laundry free?

• Bornin92Bornin92 Registered User Posts: 332 Member
    It's something like $1.50 per washer and $1.25 per dryer. And it has to be in quarters unless you use that Terrapin Express money thing in which you swipe your ID.
  • cyborg939cyborg939 Registered User Posts: 244 Junior Member
    When we got a tour of Queen Anne's, the tour guide said to use Terrapin Express because the machines sometimes eat quarters. Also, UMD is installing a new system for laundry where you can view it's progress online, reserve machines, etc. Hopefully it'll be ready soon!
  • plumazulplumazul Registered User Posts: 1,744 Senior Member
    The laundry machines in New York City (Cornell dorm) are cheaper! What a surprise. Not what I expected :)
  • ginab591ginab591 Registered User Posts: 1,068 Senior Member
    Cornell dorm in New York City?

Word about the dryers, 1.25 will just turn it on. The time it gives you almost never dries it...
  • plumazulplumazul Registered User Posts: 1,744 Senior Member
    @ginab, the med school on the upper east side. Nice high rise (for a dorm).
  • ginab591ginab591 Registered User Posts: 1,068 Senior Member
    New York City dorms actually tend to be nicer as a whole. I know my cousin's school for example only use renovated other buildings. (Like his freshman dorm used to be a hotel)
  • Bornin92Bornin92 Registered User Posts: 332 Member
    1.25 gets you 60 minutes on the dryer. It's always been enough for me, just make sure you don't put a giant load of clothes in it or it won't be enough time.
This discussion has been closed.