Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How high chance do I have?

GoRavens55GoRavens55 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
Hi everyone! For your information, my English may be not perfect as it is right now because I'm deaf. I'm currently a freshman at AACC and I got my first 4.0 GPA last semester. I applied to UMD last fall 2010 for the spring of '11, but they declined me due to my insufficient high school GPA. To be exact, 3.35 GPA, but I burned my GPA in my senior year due to being worn out. >,< Also, I don't have any kind of financial aid because my parents make too much money and they refused to pay anything for my education. Basically, I'm kind of ticked right now because of UMD's rejection and no financial aid. (Although my tuition is free anyway) I even don't want to go to Gallaudet University because of their lack in academic and reputation.

As right now, I won't have a car until this May. I'm still on my learner's permit, though. My activities are very limited at this moment. I'm planning on pursue more 4.0 GPA this semester, summer, fall, and then spring before I transfer to UMD. I will apply to UMD later this fall just to ensure my placement in the dorm (I prefer South Hill Community). I'm planning on join Psi Beta and Phi Theta Kappa this summer. I will involve with theatre as soon as I get a new car. I might participate in NCJAA baseball team later this fall, but I don't know. I also work at Papa John's Pizza.

How high chance do you think I will get accepted and getting scholarships later this fall? (The ones in department and other one with 56 credits and maintaing 3.5+ GPA.) My intended major is Family Science.

Stats:
SAT - 1590
GPA - overall 4.0
Classes: Intro to Psychology, Psychology of Parenthood, Developmental Psychology, Into to Criminal Justice, Community Health, and American Sign Language I.

I'm planning on take ENG 111/112, 3 science classes, Elementary Statistic, COM 111, Intro to Sociology, and 4 electives. My total credits will be 59 by the spring of 2013.

Is there anything I need to strengthen my resume?
Post edited by GoRavens55 on

Replies to: How high chance do I have?

• ldwendyldwendy Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    Dear GoRavens55,

You would need to have at least a 3.5 GPA to qualify for merit aid as a transfer student to Maryland. See here for more details:

OSFA - Transfer Scholarships

Good luck!
  • astrophysicsmomastrophysicsmom Registered User Posts: 4,326 Senior Member
    The more community college credits you have (with outstanding GPA), the less your high school grades come into play for admission at UMD. They want to see that you've matured, that you are focusing on your education (and not writing off classes because you are too tired to do the work). Continue your current progress, and you have a great shot.
This discussion has been closed.