Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is Calc Harder at UMD?

efroimefroim Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
I'm thinking about not taking the bc calc exam because I don't have the patience for it and I'd rather study to get a 5 on the bio exam. I'm planning on going into pre med, probably majoring in something in the realm of biological sciences. Is calc a lot harder in college than in high school? I don't feel like I can pull off a 4 or 5, every time I open a book I just don't focus. Is it okay if I don't take the exam or will I suffer in college bc it's a lot harder? I'm in University Honors if that makes any difference.
Post edited by efroim on

Replies to: Is Calc Harder at UMD?

• plumazulplumazul Registered User Posts: 1,744 Senior Member
    I'm thinking about not taking the bc calc exam because I don't have the patience for it and I'd rather study to get a 5 on the bio exam. I'm planning on going into pre med, probably majoring in something in the realm of biological sciences. Is calc a lot harder in college than in high school? I don't feel like I can pull off a 4 or 5, every time I open a book I just don't focus. Is it okay if I don't take the exam or will I suffer in college bc it's a lot harder? I'm in University Honors if that makes any difference.

You need to fix these problems quickly, or perhaps rethink your plans.
  • AugmentedAugmented Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    What calculus courses are you planning to take at UMD? I'll tell you this, AP calculus courses are generally a joke compared to college courses. I'd recommend that you study hard for your AP BC calc exam so you can get out of a few difficult math courses. Normally I direct everyone to repeat AP math courses, but if this is an either Calc or Bio choice... study for the Calc exam. In respect to your major, biology is going to be more fundamental. I'd recommend you take biology next year and for that sole reason I don't think you need that 5.

GL! Also if you provide me with some more information I'll try to give some better advice.
This discussion has been closed.