Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Will I get into Honors?

danishpastry123danishpastry123 Registered User Posts: 315 Member
rising senior
instate
3.4 UW, 4.1 W
SAT: 740 CR, 670 M (I am retaking)

NIH Intern, one author of a paper submited to Journal of Hepatology
I'm doing Siemens in the fall with my project.
member of top-ranked quizbowl team (ranked nationally)
president of school muslim student association, and vp of countywide MSA
treausrer of class of 2013 for two years.
I might get a job at Kumon senior year
Some science olympiad medals at the state and regional levels (third overall at states)
woking on my essays now, they should be fanstatic
LOR's should be arright.
Indian male, rigourous public school.

If you need any more info, comment. Thanks in advance!
Post edited by danishpastry123 on

Replies to: Will I get into Honors?

• ameliab12ameliab12 Registered User Posts: 310 Member
    It's really hard to predict who will and won't get in. Usually, a 1500 or so SAT is pretty much a guarantee, but other than that it's a whole lot of gray area. I have a bunch of friends who I expected to get honors who got scholars or nothing and a bunch of friends who I never expected to get honors who did. Right now, it seems your SAT is high enough to put you into contention, but an improvement can only help your chances. Also, your GPA looks a bit low, but that might just be because of your school. Class rank is a better predictor. Your ECs are obviously very impressive. I wouldn't worry so much about it and just keep working hard.
  • danishpastry123danishpastry123 Registered User Posts: 315 Member
    Thanks for the reply
    what is the difference between scholars and honors?
    Also, my school doesn't rank. But most of the senior class in my school end up going to CP every year, so admissions has a pretty good idea what the "rankings" are based on GPA.
    Honors has the first shot at accepting students, then scholars picks from those left, so it's generally seen as Honors being better than scholars. I think the top 1000 got into honors this year, but I'm not sure about scholars. Both have multiple programs within them and both provide some great opportunities.
    About 1/3 of my graduating class ended up at either UMCP or UMBC. Kind of makes the school less appealing, in my opinion.
    My gpa is kind of of low for top 1000... Or is it done a different way?
    I meant top 1000 students overall. I guess nobody really knows how much they weigh different parts of applications, but the honors college definitely takes everything into account at least a little. If it was based only on GPA, there would probably be 1000 kids with 4.0s!

Maybe I can provide you some hope with my stats: I got into the honors college (gemstone) with a 3.5 GPA and 1560 SAT. Both of those are slightly higher than yours, but both of your stats can still improve (the GPA won't move far, but it's important for you to get straight As first semester so admissions counselors see an upward trend) and you seem confident that the SAT definitely will. Obviously, this doesn't mean you'll definitely get into honors (even if you had the same stats as me, you can never be sure), but it at least shows that the honors college is willing to take kids who haven't had perfect grades throughout high school, yet make up for it elsewhere.
  • plumazulplumazul Registered User Posts: 1,744 Senior Member
    OP, UM will weight your GPA according to their own criteria. The more AP/IB classes you have the better your weighted GPA will be. Their weighted GPA will not be the same as your school's weighted GPA.
    @ameliab12 sounds good, i'll try my best and hope for better!

@plumazul that's a relief; I have plenty of AP's
This discussion has been closed.