Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Buy a computer from UMD or bring one

2»

Replies to: Buy a computer from UMD or bring one

• 1214mom1214mom Registered User Posts: 3,746 Senior Member
    Thanks for following up, and I'm glad UMD came through. I bought the school recommended computer for my older son, and he complains that it's not "good enough" for some things (mostly games, I think) but the peace of mind it brings is worth a lot.
  • MitchKreybenMitchKreyben Registered User Posts: 439 Member
    davenmame....wow. A) super great service! B) just hafta say...man is your son snakebit or what! His machine went down two separate times right before finals. He's going to have a technology complex.
  • MDdad2012MDdad2012 Registered User Posts: 456 Member
    edited May 2014
    I bought my daughter a MacBook Air a few years ago through Amazon and bought the warranty at UMD. They replaced a broken AC adaptor with no questions asked. It saved a trip to the Apple store. They had the part in stock.
    MDdad. Explain a bit more. So you can buy the Macbook wherever you want, and UM will still sell you a warranty? Depending on pricing, that may be the way to go.
  • davenmamedavenmame Registered User Posts: 364 Member
    MitchKreyben, your post is especially funny since my son just graduated in ........ computer engineering! lol! Knowing our son though, it didn't surprise us! Fortunately, he's had enough of these crazy experiences not to panic (as much as I did!) The MacBook Air is one that he is looking at for his replacement once he gets his first paycheck. :)
    I'm about ready to cave and NOT go with the school computer. My son wants a computer that will also be very good for gaming, and he's willing to pay the difference. I feel like since we are relatively close buy, and he can take an old laptop as a backup, it might be OK (I'm trying to convince myself, and also trying to figure out how to deal with older child who didn't get the better option when he went far away to school, but I guess that's another thread). I just had to "vent" somewhere. All these college choices are stressing me out :(
  • marylandhomemarylandhome Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    1214 - we made the same choice, largely because the cost difference between UMD and other sources was significant, especially after some shopping/searching online. He will have an old laptop as backup and we are an hour away in an emergency. I might have made a different decision if he was a comp sci major but he is accounting.
    Probably wise decisions for those of you who are physically close to CP. Us? We're 1,100 miles away...it's the UMD purchase for us! :)
    Mitch... I did the same thing for my son who went to school in NY. This guy is within an hour and has a backup old computer to use in crisis. Good luck
2»
This discussion has been closed.