Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Full BK Scholarship at UMCP vs. Tuition Waived Scholarship at Emory University

HUST1980HUST1980 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
Short background for the student: Received the tuition-waived scholarship from Oxford College of Emory University (no problem to pay the rest of the attendance cost), a full-ride BK scholarship from UMCP, doesn't have any specific targeted study area right now, lots of AP and IB courses taken which can be credited for 59 at UMCP, but only 15 max. credits allowed at Oxford.

I would highly appreciate any inputs or thoughts, especially from students or alumni from UMCP regarding the following areas: which school would you select if it were you? Besides the money, what other benefits are there for the BK students? Thanks.

Replies to: Full BK Scholarship at UMCP vs. Tuition Waived Scholarship at Emory University

• 1214mom1214mom Registered User Posts: 3,750 Senior Member
    I am assuming student was also offered honors at CP. I have heard wonderful things about the Honors program at UMD, including that it helps make UMD feel smaller. Why Oxford College and Not Emory itself? If you do choose UMD, and you think your child may be interested in one of the limited enrollment programs, I suggest getting accepted to the program before starting, if at all possible. Good luck with the decision.
  • Normanisnot21Normanisnot21 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Congratulations to your offspring. Either place would be good.

The Honors colleges at UMCP intend to make the "huge university" experience more personal and based on discussions with those who have experienced it, I think it succeeds. Nevertheless, UMCP is a big campus. Oxford College is the satellite campus of Emory. My understanding is that it is often chosen by those who think that the main Emory campus is bigger than they would want to experience immediately after leaving home. Oxford is not exactly remote, but it is far more similar to a small liberal arts college than a big university.

I think the environment where the student wishes to live would be the deciding factor.
  • HUST1980HUST1980 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Thanks a lot to 1214mom and Normanisnot21 for your inputs.

My daughter did also get accepted by Emory College of Emory University, but her tuition-waived scholarship was offered from Oxford College (she applied for admission to both colleges), she has to spend first two years at Oxford College and then move to Emory for the Jr. and Sr. years.

For UMCP, my daughter has got into the honors program. I would highly appreciate it if current or previous students from UMCP could provide your personal opinions about the honors programs and any additional benefits for the BK scholars.
  • MitchKreybenMitchKreyben Registered User Posts: 439 Member
    My D is starting at UM cp in honors this fall. Would also love to hear from current/former UMd honors students. With regard to Emory v. UMd....agree with those that refer to what experience the student wants. Starting at a small campus, then moving to the bigger, suggests a college career that will be more or less completely focussed on academics. Emory is a highly regarded school, and would always be a great choice. That said, the UMd (or any larger state school) experience will be more of a traditional college "spirit" type of experience. Neither is right or wrong. Depends on the student, and their preferences....of course in addition to their academic pursuits. What a great choice...but what different styles! Wow.
This discussion has been closed.