Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

GPA at UMD

blues4blues4 Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
How hard is it to get above a 3.85 GPA if I am going to UMD Honors College with Computer Science major?

I had a 4.0 GPA in high school, but I realize that it will be basically impossible to maintain a 4.0 in college.

Replies to: GPA at UMD

• blues4blues4 Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    Another question I had was what is the percent to GPA conversion rate? Like is 90% equal to an A/4.0?
  • terpmom7terpmom7 Registered User Posts: 289 Junior Member
    It's certainly possible to do, but it's very difficult especially because they now use the +/- system. So a 90% is an A- and therefore worth only 3.7 rather than 4.0.
    http://www.testudo.umd.edu/plusminusimplementation.html#4
  • maryversitymaryversity Registered User Posts: 1,971 Senior Member
    Why 3.85 in specific?
  • maryversitymaryversity Registered User Posts: 1,971 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    Terpmom is right about the change in grading system having a big impact...

Understand that the +/- only started last year, so the students currently graduating had 2 full years of a A- counting as 4.0. So, you will see the gpa dropping consistently for the required range for Latin honors over the next 2 years. 2016 will be the first grad to have all 4 years with the +/-, so the range should be pretty consistent from that point forward.

According to the CMNS (every department has slightly diff ranges) commencement info online:

GPA Ranges for Latin Honors: May 2013
    Summa Cum Laude: 4.000 - 4.000
    Magna Cum Laude: 3.999 - 3.944
    Cum Laude: 3.943 - 3.877

GPA Ranges for Latin Honors: May 2014

Summa 4.000-3.995 | Magna 3.994-3.952 | Cum Laude 3.951-3.866

• blues4blues4 Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    edited May 2014
    @maryversity‌ I just chose a random GPA based on my goal for Graduate School. I would like to attend a top tier school such as Harvard, UChicago, or Stanford for an MBA, so I'm trying to make a plan for my years at UMD.

@terpmom7 Thank you for the link and the info, but do you have the specific percentage cutoff for A-, A+, etc?
  • terpmom7terpmom7 Registered User Posts: 289 Junior Member
    Not exactly sure but I think this is fairly standard. Maybe someone else has more exact info.

93-100% A
    90-92% A-
    87-89 B+
    83-86 B
    80-82 B-
    And so forth..
  • da6onetda6onet Registered User Posts: 653 Member
    Just to be clear, Latin honors are based on % rank, the gpa is just the conversion of that.
    Summa top 2%
    Magna 3-5%
    Cum laude 5-10%

For comparison, dean's list is 3.5+ and is roughly top 20% (at least for clark school)
This discussion has been closed.