Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
MitchKreybenMitchKreyben Registered User Posts: 439 Member
OK, out of stater here. Looks like UMD is the common abbreviation. However, in the upper midwest if you use or say UMD, people respond with "really he's going to University of MInnesota - Duluth?" Um, no....

I think I'd rather be confused (UM) with U of MIchigan, MIssissippi, Missouri, Montana, Maine......the UM - Duluth. What say you? (yes I realize Missou uses MU)

Replies to: UM v UMD

• DavidHopkinsDavidHopkins Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    When I tell people that my daughter is going to Maryland next year, I usually say the she is going to College Park. In the state, that is how it most well known, at least in my experience. When I see UM in a college context, I think of Michigan. I've seen Maryland abbreviated more as UMCP than UMD.
  • terpmom7terpmom7 Registered User Posts: 289 Junior Member
    We are IS and when asked where my daughter is going, we usually just say Maryland. Most people know that means College Park. When writing it we use UMD. UM in my opinion, and I am from Michigan, definitely means Michigan. I am starting to see UMCP more and more.
  • itllbeokitllbeok Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    I write it as UMd, but that's just my own personal quirk, I think.

My son -- a freshman next year -- always says "College Park" when asked where he is going (we are in-state). He also objects to me designating it "UMd"... but I blithely persist!
  • maryversitymaryversity Registered User Posts: 1,978 Senior Member
    Why not just say he's a Terp? or he's going to Maryland?
    In my day it was UM but these days people seem to use UMD or UMDCP.
  • MitchKreybenMitchKreyben Registered User Posts: 439 Member
    Yeah,,,,thanks this is good. We've been saying simply Maryland way out here in flyover country. Kind of funny though, "College Park" means nothing here, so you have to say "you know, right next to Washington D.C." then you get the 'oooOOOOOhhhhh' (in a good way).
  • amiableamiable Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    edited May 2014
    We have just been saying "Maryland" when people ask where our son is going in the fall. We're from Connecticut, and people up here don't really know all the other campuses in the state system--you say Maryland and everybody just assumes it's the one in College Park. Actually, they don't even know where it is exactly--they just know it's in Maryland somewhere! LOL. I've been abbreviating it as UMD as well.
  • teenbodybuilderteenbodybuilder Registered User Posts: 1,649 Senior Member
    UM is Miami!
    UM is also Michigan.
  • VSGPeanut101VSGPeanut101 Registered User Posts: 886 Member
    I am a transplant (only lived in MD for 10 years) and have picked this up from folks who live and work in Baltimore. "College Park"doesn't really mean a lot - I'm still not sure exactly where it is. I work at Hopkins and we refer to the Baltimore (medical) campus as UMD. When discussing college options with other parents, we usually call it Maryland. When writing, I abbreviate UMD.
  • itllbeokitllbeok Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    I think my son specifies "College Park" primarily to differentiate from UMBC (University of Maryland [in] Baltimore County)...
    Or as alumni of the U of Nebraska (Lincoln) tend to say if someone asks, You mean Omaha, or Lincoln campus? A: There is only one "University of Nebraska" and it's in Lincoln! I can imagine Terps substituting their own version.
  • BooajoBooajo Registered User Posts: 1,171 Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    I grew up in Minnesota, so U of M (always stated with the "of") meant Minnesota, until I moved to Michigan. Now, living in Wisconsin, we say UW to mean Wisconsin. But that means Washington to west coasters. So I think it's all so regional. Personally, I would say "Maryland".
This discussion has been closed.