Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Merit Scholarships

FlamboozleFlamboozle Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
Hello I was wondering what the chances are of me receiving a merit based scholarship as a freshman for UMD with an intended major in mathematics and/or computer science with my current stats:

SAT I: 2110 (690 Reading, 800 Math, 620 Writing)
ACT: None

GPA: 3.75(U), 4.33(W)
5 or 6 AP's and probably will take Calculus III at local college over the summer.

EC's: Varsity Cross Country/Track (3 years/Captain 1 year), some job experience at a construction company over 2 summers, decent volunteer work.
This is the only EC's I can think of. How do other people have so much? I can barely fit in anything else with Cross Country/Track every day.

And finally, is it worth taking the SAT again to improve my chances a little? (maybe a 10-20 increase in Reading and 70-90 in Writing). What else can I do to improve my chances at a scholarship? (EC's, awards, essay, etc.)

Replies to: Merit Scholarships

• FlamboozleFlamboozle Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    I also forgot to mention I am in-state.
  • jiblerjibler Registered User Posts: 1,604 Senior Member
    I would definitely re-take the SAT, if you can. The higher your scores the better chance you have. Keep in mind that UMD mainly focuses on Math+Reading, so your scores are already really great.

Keep the grades up, knock out those essays, and apply by November 1. You could have a shot at the Honors College as well as a full or partial tuition scholarship (Banneker/Key Scholarship). The Presidential Scholarship ranges from $2k to $12k, so that could be of great help as well.

Are you in-state or out-of-state?
  • FlamboozleFlamboozle Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    In-state
  • 1214mom1214mom Registered User Posts: 4,179 Senior Member
    My experience is from HS class of 2012, but if you get your reading score up just a little you have a good chance of a partial scholarship.
  • Teonne27Teonne27 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    As long as you are well rounded with your extra curriculums, student organization and you keep your gpa up then you'll have a good chance of possibly receiving the presidential scholarship @Flamboozle‌
This discussion has been closed.