Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance me for UMCP please!

MintxPeachMintxPeach Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
Please chance me for UMCP. I'm in-state and I intend to major in biology/biochemistry.

SAT: 1400 (I plan to retake; aiming for 1470+)

UW GPA: 4.0, W GPA: 4.2 ??

AP:
Gov (10th) - 5
Bio (11th) - 4
Calc AB (11th) - 5
World History (11th) - 4
Senior Year: planning to take Stat or Calc BC, Environmental Sci, and Psych

Major Awards: AP Scholar with Honor, PSAT commended

Extracurriculars: piano, National Chinese Honor Society (3 years)
(I barely have any ECs due to lack of transportation but that's not an adequate excuse lol)

Job/Work Experience: I help out at my family's restaurant as a cashier.
Volunteer/Community service: 80+ hours at school's summer program

Ethnicity: Asian
Income Bracket: 40k-70k
Hooks: first gen

Thank you so much and I would really appreciate it if you could recommend other colleges that might be a good match for me!

Also, if you have experience with both, do you prefer the SAT or the ACT?

Replies to: Chance me for UMCP please!

• sparkykoolkatsparkykoolkat Registered User Posts: 199 Junior Member
    If you can get your SAT up to around a 1450, you are definitely a good match for UMCP. Your extracurriculars may hurt a little bit, but the fact that you are a first generation student should definitely help you out. Good luck! Maybe chance me back? http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/2006985-what-are-my-chances-osu-um-northwestern-cwru-uchicago-cornell-nyu-tulane-gw-wusl-jhu.html#latest
  • dragon90dragon90 Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    the middle 50% for UMD-CP in 2016 was 1260-1420, so you should have a decent shot there with a 1400 and a 4.00 GPA. Getting above the 75%tile will help your chances.

You may want to look at some other MD publics: St Mary's (the public honors college), Towson, UMBC - they could be more likely for admission and possibly affordable.

As for matches, you have a huge selection of schools really, with your stats... what else is important to you? is affordability a priority? location?

Also, Most people here will tell you to find your "safety" school first and build up from there...

re: SAT/ACT: from my D's experience, ACT requires quick reading comprehension skills to get a high score. need to process the readings quickly. If that is something you excel at, try a practice test and see how it goes.
  • aspringtobedocaspringtobedoc Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    Chance me, please?

Stats:
    School: Highline Community College (Washington State)
    College GPA: 3.96
    Major: Biology
    Intended Major at UMD: General Biology
    PTK member (not even sure if that will help me)

I have taken Gen Chem series and Bio series. For Math, I only took PreCalculus I (I did not take the PreCalc II, which is a prereq for Calculus in Washington; I initially planned to take the PreCalc II at University of Washington if I will apply there but we moved to Maryland instead)

I do not have SAT/ACT since I have more than 30 credits (I have 80 cc credits) and I graduated from high school in different country.

I am an Out-of-State transfer applicant. I just moved in to Maryland last first week of July.

EC: I do not have any extracurricular activities and/or job experiences because of personal reasons(not medical), making me just stay at home after school. But now I am motivated to do things related to medical field.

Awards: Outstanding Performance in Biology (I'm not sure how and why the science department selected me to receive that award among my other classmates)

I worry that I have a little chance of getting accepted since they prioritize Maryland residents coming from Maryland community college.

THANK YOU!
  • whenyoubelievewhenyoubelieve Registered User Posts: 202 Junior Member
    Just popping in to say i 100% prefer the ACT! It's really easy if you're a fast test taker and/or a quick thinker! I didn't need to do any outside studying for it. All I had to do was do a bunch of practice tests (to work on timing)
This discussion has been closed.