Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Indicating preferences on Honors College Preferencing form- Gemstone or DCC for 1st choice?

TheOncelerTheOnceler Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
Hello! I recently got accepted into UMD's Honors College program OOS, and the preferencing form is due tomorrow. I'm having trouble deciding between putting DCC or Gemstone as my first choice: DCC seems the better fit for my interests, but Gemstone seems more rigorous and looks like it will offer me more opportunities for work/networking.

I've heard Gemstone is incredibly competitive to get into, so I'm worried that if I put it as a 2nd choice, I may not get in. I would very much like to be able to choose from both options, and I'm fairly certain I can get into DCC with my stats/test scores. But would I get DCC no matter what if I did this?

SAT Score: 1550/1600
GPA (UW): 3.95
GPA(W): 5.541

Thank you!

Replies to: Indicating preferences on Honors College Preferencing form- Gemstone or DCC for 1st choice?

• maryversitymaryversity Registered User Posts: 1,978 Senior Member
    Stats/test scores do not determine placement - most students in Honors college have high stats. Personally, I would recommend going with the program that interests you the most.
  • whenyoubelievewhenyoubelieve Registered User Posts: 213 Junior Member
    Exactly what maryversity said! I know that for, at least ACES, they mostly look for your interest in the program/the paragraph you write for the preference form. Go for what you're most interested in
  • glorianaglorianaglorianagloriana Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    Is the EIP program part of the Clark school of engineering? I’m a computer engineering major and I can’t decide between DCC and EIP
  • maryversitymaryversity Registered User Posts: 1,978 Senior Member

Technically, I would say yes. EIP is a “joint” project of Honors College and MTECH (MARYLAND TECHNOLOGY ENTERPRISE INSTITUTE). MTech is under the umbrella of A. James Clark School of Engineering.s