right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Former Freshman Connection student here... ask me anything!

merrillfmerrillf 5 replies1 threads New Member
Hello all! With EA decisions coming out so soon, I thought I would offer myself as a resource for FC admits. I wish I had someone on this forum last year to answer questions. I am in my second semester here, which means I am no longer in FC.

HS Stats/Background:
-Female W
-Private HS
-In-state
-29 ACT / 1260 SAT
-3.3 Unweighted GPA
-pretty extensive list of extracurriculars: 60+ hours service, student leadership, two sports

40 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Former Freshman Connection student here... ask me anything!

• RavenrobRavenrob 47 replies2 threads Junior Member
    @merrillf Thanks for your update. My S20 has the following:

Male W
    Private HS
    In-state
    1410 SAT
    4.23 Weighted GPA
    Just about same EC's as yours.

I would hope that he qualified for Fall admission but seems as though he would most definitely qualify for FC, wouldn't you think?
    · Reply · Share
  • merrillfmerrillf 5 replies1 threads New Member
    So UMD does get picky with private, in state schools. So that’s one thing that may have an effect. However, a common thread across the FC students I’ve met is SAT scores lower than 1300. With his scores, I would say he might get fall admission. I had a similar weighted GPA.
    · Reply · Share
  • TaraGmezTaraGmez 82 replies0 threads Junior Member
    I heard decisions may come out today!?
    · Reply · Share
    merrillf wrote: »
    So UMD does get picky with private, in state schools. So that’s one thing that may have an effect. However, a common thread across the FC students I’ve met is SAT scores lower than 1300. With his scores, I would say he might get fall admission. I had a similar weighted GPA.

@merrillf Please explain your first sentence, in terms of "UMD does get picky with private, in state schools"?
    · Reply · Share
  • merrillfmerrillf 5 replies1 threads New Member
    Maryland has a reputation of accepting more students from public schools than private. Add the in-state dynamic and it's even more selective.
    Hopefully this makes sense.
    At my high school, everyone was aware of these tendencies, and therefore getting into Maryland was very competitive. It varies school to school, though, based on location/demographics and such.
    · Reply · Share
  • WhatrocksWhatrocks 21 replies4 threads Junior Member
    edited January 28
    @Ravenrob You would be shocked at who gets outright rejected from UMD-- not even making it into Freshman Connection. Shocked! You cannot count on anything until you get that acceptance.
    edited January 28
    · Reply · Share
    edited January 28
    Whatrocks wrote: »
    @Ravenrob You would be shocked at who gets outright rejected from UMD-- not even making it into Freshman Connection. Shocked! You cannot count on anything until you get that acceptance.

@Whatrocks Hence you understand my concern with this process.
    edited January 28
    · Reply · Share
  • WhatrocksWhatrocks 21 replies4 threads Junior Member
    @Ravenrob Best of luck. Hopefully your son will be accepted and all will be good in the world!
    · Reply · Share
  • Sat2020Sat2020 5 replies1 threads New Member
    Do I need to apply FC? Or it will automatic enroll to the program once I applied the reg admissions
    · Reply · Share
    When do they send out the decision
    · Reply · Share
  • SoofDadSoofDad 1256 replies39 threads Senior Member
    @Sat2020 - Freshman Connection is offered to all students who receive a Spring Admission decision. You do not have to apply, but you do have to enroll. Enrollment is NOT automatic

Enrollment is first come - first serve.
    · Reply · Share
  • BrielleNJBrielleNJ 20 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Thank you @merrillf ! My son will definitely be happy with a Spring/FC admit. He has a 1320 SAT and 92 UW GPA. Hoping I’ll be back on this thread with questions for you in the next few days. It sounds like a fantastic option.
    · Reply · Share
  • TaraGmezTaraGmez 82 replies0 threads Junior Member
    My daughter decided not to do FC but has friends that did and they were absolutely fine. You only do the later than normal schedule one semester as long as you keep a certain gpa.
    · Reply · Share
  • suzythereadheadsuzythereadhead 4 replies0 threads New Member
    Did you find having afternoon and evening classes limited the clubs or activities in which you were able to participate?
    · Reply · Share
    What do you know been accepted? Thanks
    · Reply · Share
  • notgoing14notgoing14 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Do you have to confirm your admission to UMD before enrolling to Freshman connection? I am not sure I am attending but if I am I want to make sure to secure my spot in Freshman connection
    · Reply · Share
    I believe that FC enrollment starts on March 1
    · Reply · Share
  • MomfromPennMomfromPenn 27 replies2 threads Junior Member
    I have a few questions about the Freshman Connection program.
    1) Do you feel accepted by the other students?
    2) Do you choose your own roommates?
    3) Do you get freshman housing or whatever is available?
    4) Is it difficult to gain acceptance into your chosen major later?
    5) Is it difficult to register for Spring classes since you are last to register?
    6) Are there enough available classes in Fall semester to stay on track with your major?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I would like to be sure it is the right choice?

Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
    @MomfromPenn - I'll try to answer some of you questions based on what I've read on here over the past several years and the experience of my D's best friend, who was in FC

1) Do you feel accepted by the other students?
    Other students don't care

2) Do you choose your own roommates?
    There is a mechanism for students to request (note - request, not choose) each other as roommates. It used to be via emails to ResLife, but it may be different now. Most requests were honored

3) Do you get freshman housing or whatever is available?
    Freshmen do not get to pick their Dorms. Most dorms are assigned based on LLCs. The Freshman dorms are on North Campus. AFAIK, all students (including FC students) who fill out the housing form in a timely manner get a dorm on North Campus. My D's friend was assigned to Denton Hall.

4) Is it difficult to gain acceptance into your chosen major later?
    My D's friend graduated on time with her desired major. Many others have reportd doing so in the past.

5) Is it difficult to register for Spring classes since you are last to register?
    I am not aware of any particular problems

6) Are there enough available classes in Fall semester to stay on track with your major?
    There seems to be,

Hopefully those with more direct experience with FC will also reply
    · Reply · Share