right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Banneker Key financial question

mdmamma1707mdmamma1707 55 replies5 threads Junior Member
My DD was very fortunate to receive the Banneker Key full scholarship. My question is - what further costs will we be responsible for? We've given a $400 deposit and paid for orientation. Does upperclass housing generally cost more than the standard amount? Where can I find out more information about hidden fees? We are all very thrilled about the offer - I just want to find out about what we should budget for. DD has been laid off from part-time job due to coronavirus epidemic, but luckily has savings for incidentals.
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Banneker Key financial question

• SoofDadSoofDad 1256 replies39 threads Senior Member
  • mdmamma1707mdmamma1707 55 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Thanks, @SoofDad!
    · Reply · Share
  • IlovebandIloveband 22 replies6 threads Junior Member
    hey! I'm a full banneker/key student as well, just finished up my freshman year at UMD. It's really great- I haven't had to pay a single cent towards the university... except laundry. If she chooses to live in res halls, laundry is $1.50 for wash, $1.50 for dry, so about $3/week.
    Also, don't want to get your hopes up, but I got a free $1200+ check in the mail at the beginning of the semester (for books and partly cause I was in a triple with no A/C.. crazy how they treat scholarship kids) that I used for books and buying a new computer.

Feel free to message me with any other questions!
    · Reply · Share
  • adlgeladlgel 829 replies34 threads Member
    @Iloveband Was the $1200 check the federal government stimulus check? If yes that would have nothing to do with UMD or being a scholarship kid.
    · Reply · Share
  • itsgettingreal21itsgettingreal21 330 replies5 threads Member
    The poster said at the beginning of the semester ...
    · Reply · Share
  • IlovebandIloveband 22 replies6 threads Junior Member
    @adlgel Hi, the $1200 check was not the stimulus check. B/K kids get a variable "refund" check at the start of the fall semester for books and other fees.
    · Reply · Share
  • AttymomAttymom 9 replies0 threads New Member
    My DS is also a full Banneker key recipient. I had him contact UMD and they waived the deposit and orientation payments. You may want to follow up with a call to see if that can be refunded.
    · Reply · Share
  • mdmamma1707mdmamma1707 55 replies5 threads Junior Member
    @Attymom Thank you! I assumed that a refund of the deposit might be given, but it wouldn't hurt to be proactive about it. UMD is not very proactive about saving people money; for instance, it doesn't publicize that National Merit Scholars can apply for free.
    · Reply · Share