Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UMD Honors Program(s) report - lots to like in College Park

13»

Replies to: UMD Honors Program(s) report - lots to like in College Park

• hinmanCEOhinmanCEO Registered User Posts: 276 Junior Member
    of course they can curve in honors. but what i am saying is if you are worried about your gpa, don't take H-versions. you should take the regular classes and set the curve ;)
  • lindz0722lindz0722 Registered User Posts: 698 Member
    agreed....i was taking an h-version history class and realized that the only difference was that honors students had to write longer papers!! i dropped into the regular section pretty quickly.
    i wish i did the same in my math classes.

my math grades in college, all are honors: B-, C, B (retake of the C)

needless to say, H-versions SUCK.
    my GPA is more important than being honors. seriously, i like the fact im in it, but to sacrifice my gpa, thats BS. 77.7% in honors = C when 82% in the SAME class is an A for regular is just MESSED up.
    if you enjoy the challenge then dont stop taking the h-versions because of your GPA. we're in college.....your gpa doesn't stand for too much when you graduate (unless you're planning on gradschool immediately out of undergrad anyway)

the way i think of it, if i interview for a job and it comes down to me with my 3.55 and someone with a 3.8, the difference is negligible, especially because resume and personality counts a LOT more in job interviews than GPA.
    i had enough grade worrying through high school.... i still get mostly A's here and am proud of it, but i'm doing a good job of letting the occasional B and rare C roll off my back without too much pain. now if only i could get my parents to feel the same way.... ;) haha
    .......but i do understand what you're saying. i've held off on taking classes because the only time i could get them was when they were with a notoriously boring, bad-grading prof.
  • wmac131wmac131 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Can someone help me? I am a rising HS Senior who wants to study Government at UMD. Recently though I have been really enjoying the performing arts. So I want to join a program where I can study both government and the arts extensively. Would you reccomend Honors or Scholars? If it helps, I am a bit of a snob who wants to be in a close-knit community of particularly smart UMD students.
  • plumazulplumazul Registered User Posts: 1,744 Senior Member
    @wmac, I am a rising sophomore in the Honors college at Maryland. I am currently on a dual degree track (I say currently because I am considering other options) for a BS in Chemistry and a BA in Piano Performance. The Honors college is wonderful. You have access to classes (seminars) available only to Honors college students, and you can take "H" classes which are small vs. the standard auditorium. The people you live and study with are great. You must be invited to Honors or Scholars based on your application so keep working hard :)

You must also pass an audition at the School of Music in your instrument, to be accepted into the program, I'm not too sure how the other performance arts work. You should call or research your specific requirements. Best of luck.
  • Gemini116Gemini116 Registered User Posts: 125 Junior Member
    I was told at orientation that the honors seminars are generally easier than normal classes and more interesting / involving. Do you agree with this statement? And what exactly does one do in a seminar class?
  • astrophysicsmomastrophysicsmom Registered User Posts: 4,326 Senior Member
    Gemini...D1 would generally agree with that. A lot of the grades were based on participation in discussions, etc. and generally she found fewer traditional tests, and instead a research paper may take the place of traditional grading in a seminar. The assumption for an Honors seminar is that you'll have students who WANT to be there, as opposed to some of the large required CORE classes which have their fair share of people who come to class to sleep or play Farmville throughout the lectures. Ourumd.edu usually showed the grade distribution of a lot of the honors seminars as mostly A's and B's....again, they are filled with students who want to learn and who actually WANT to take the class on the particular subject.
  • LustinJack12LustinJack12 Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    I agree
  • MJM2017MJM2017 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    @LustinJack12 you answered them 5 years later lol
13»
This discussion has been closed.