Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

My chances at UMD

jabnerjabner Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
I dont have a CC account so I'll use my sister's.
I'm an an asian female from Northern VA and going to a very competitive public school.
Currently, I am a junior and interested in applying early to colleges.

GPA 3.75 uw, 3.9 w
SAT taking it in 4 days!! but the old SAT ranges around 1300~1400
AP / Honors courses

AP world (4)
AP stat (3)
AP psych
AP cal ab
AP Lit (next yr)
AP bio (next yr)
Honors english
all honors math classes

Extra curricular...dont have much
math team secretary 9, 10
virginia math league 9,10, 11
viola since 5th grade
senior district 10, senior regional 11
chamber soloist 11 (and next yr)
solo recital next year
debate team 10
yearbook 11 and next year

Interested colleges are...
Wellsley, Smith, UMD(college park), UVA, penn state (uni. park)and UNC(chapel hill)

Which of the above colleges have a good pharmacy program?
Any opinions or suggestions would be great.
Post edited by jabner on

Replies to: My chances at UMD

• coastingbluecoastingblue Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
    lets see

umd - match
    penn state - match
    weslley - not sure
    unc- kind of reach

my brother who is my tiwn applied to uva and got rejected and had the same stats but he is out of state. so you might have a better chance but im not sure.
  • angstriddenangstridden Registered User Posts: 849 Member
    UNC is really hard to get into from out of state esp. for a female. My D. was waitlisted there and had higher stats. and tons of activities and awards. They take only 17% from out of state and like a hook of some sort like sports etc. So I dont think thats a promising one..but you never know.
    UMD YES ...UVA I think that is a reach also.
    I dont know about the others..good luck!
  • Mine Is DifferentMine Is Different Registered User Posts: 220 Junior Member
    wellsey - reach
    smith - in
    college park - in
    uva - SAT>2100 in
    unc - super reach
    penn state - in

good luck...try to get 5's on your aps
  • jenlynn22jenlynn22 Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    My very good friend is the son's ambassador of Argentina and is very bright.. got a 1360 on the old SAT but had amazing grades in school with around a 3.92 GPA. He got rejected from UVA even with his status, he also wanted to go to business school there which is one of the top in the nation. UVA apparently accepts only 12% of their applicants from OUTSIDE of Virginia.. so it is very competitive and very fierce. Funny though, he ended up going to Yale instead haha, but still it goes to show how fierce the application process is getting.
  • chelle88chelle88 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    What do you think my chances are in getting into College Park or UMBC?
    Maryland Resident
    Asian American (born in the US)
    UW GPA: 3.7W GPA: 4.2
    New SAT Scores: M-600 Reading-550 Writing-610

since my SAT scores are so low, do i even have a shot?

All Honors Courses. heavy workload
    AP classes:
    AP BIology (3)
    AP psych (3)
    AP Language (3)
    AP Lit
    AP Calc
    AP Chem.

Over 300 volunteer hours

Maryland Distinguished Scholars Finalist, Who's Who in The Nation's HS's,
    Youth fellowship with the NAtional Symphony Orchestra (as the Only flutist chosen for the 2005-2006 season)

Summer Internship at the NAtional Institute of Health-Center for Biological Evaluation + Research-Division of Hematology

Member of National Honors Society, French Honors SOciety, President of ASian Pacific American Cultural Club at school,

Participated in the Maryland All State Honors Band 2 years, All county 2 years.

Member of the American Youth PHilharmonic and American YOuth Symphony

someone PLEASE tell me.
    I think your odds are super good from everything you listed....but I honestly dont know how the scores on the new SAT work..just familiar with old. I think so much of what you said is terrific though I have really good feelings for your chances. UMBC is easier to get in than UMD btw.
    Also you will have your application fee waived for all MD colleges because you are a MD Distinguished Scholar Finalist..doesnt that automatically give you a scholarship into an MD college?

My D. was an honorable mention for art and academics.
  • desvwdesvw Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    chelle88...My advice at Umd is to find your "hook" and stress that as much as possible. What distiguishes you from the rest of the applicants is what you can focus on. Also make sure you visit at least once, sit in on the presentation they offer...maybe a summer only thing, and make a face to face connection with SOMEONE..in admissions...make an appointment while you're there, ask to meet with a counselor, SOMETHING....this will help you and they WILL remember you...and follow up with an email, thank you note, etc. Every person we met in admissions, dance, american studies, etc. remembered my d. by name....it was incredible. SAT's are very important, but her's were lower than yours...but she had the "hook" they were looking for. We visited UMBC as well but she had her heart set on UMD. UMBC had the best dorms of all the schools we visited, but the social life wasn't as much as what she wanted... but she liked the campus. Best of luck to you.
    Thanks =] that helped a LOTTT!! We can really meet with conselors from UMD??
  • Mine Is DifferentMine Is Different Registered User Posts: 220 Junior Member
    how r u a md distinguished scholar finalist? the cut off for your SAT would be over 1500 on the old SAT with your gpa
  • desvwdesvw Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    ABSOLUTELY!!! Go online and sign up for one of the summmer day programs. It's not an all day thing...a few hours but the presentation itself was by far the most impressive we had seen. Skip the tour...and go to the Mitchell Building ask to speak with a counselor and treat it as if it's a sort of job interview...look nice, be IMPRESSIVE when you speak. It's first come first serve and you'll have to wait but not too long. Meeting w/ a counselor is FAR more important than the tour...you can do that anytime. It was a LONG journey for us starting this time last year of her selling herself to College Park, but hopefully she'll be totally happy and love every second of it....I hope!
  • kpphy88kpphy88 Registered User Posts: 292 Junior Member
    seriously... I'm a Marylander myself, and have a 3.94 UW GPA and 4.66 Weighted with a 2250 new SAT (although I took it in May so it won't count). I had a 197 PSAT. I wasn't even informed of being honorable mention, which I heard every preliminary md distinguishd scholar candidate gets.
    My D. was up for distinguished scholar in art and for academics. For academics she just got a paper saying she was honorable mention..For art she went to show her work and she could see by the pieces going in..HUGE COLORED PAINTINGS etc that her very finely detailed pencil works for the most part were going to be overlooked in favor of BIG..which was the case..she was honorable mention.
    So no scholarship from that but free application to all MD schools.
    You can be a Distinguished Scholar through the Talents in the Arts category too. A school can nominate 5 people to have an audition, and that's how I became a finalist. Theres talent, merit, and academic achievement. Thanks,desvw.
    Thats right...In my D's case she qualified as a distinguised scholar for academics based on her PSAT. She was also selected as a distinguished scholar by her school based on her art work..so she qualifed in two categories and got an honorable mention - nice but does not give any $ in both.
  • wisywigiwisywigi Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    when did you receive notice about your maryland distinguished scholar status? I qualified for both the academic (3.97 uw gpa) and talent in the arts (went down and played piano for the judges in beginning of June) and I haven't received anything at all in the mail yet. I know that I am for sure at least an honorable mention for both because anyone who meets the requirements receives honorable mention...so how do you know what you are already?
This discussion has been closed.