Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chances at UMD - College Park?

Duffman28Duffman28 Registered User Posts: 1,359 Senior Member
I'm a rising Senior....just got done with Junior year

Stats:

GPA: ~3.5 unweighted, ~4.0 weighted, these will hopefully be a bit higher by the end of first semester Senior year.
PSAT: 130 on Math and Verbal overall, 66 on verbal, 64 on math (This was kind of rushed though, only taken for AP Lang as an assignment)
ACT: Take this saturday...
SAT: Took yesterday...

Classes this year:
AP Psychology (A's)
AP US History (A's)
AP English Language & Comp. (A's)
Precalculus Honors (C 1st Sem., brought it up to a B for 2nd sem.)
Physics Honors (B 1st Sem., brought it up to an A for 2nd sem.)
Debate VI Honors (A's)
Government Honors (A's)
Health (A's)

Extra-Curric:

Debate Team (~325 NFL Points...for those who know what those are), this is my passion, I've competed in 5 different event categories as well, and placed in 3 of them (Student Congres, Oral Interpretation, Duo Interpretation, Public Forum, Policy)
President of Debate
VP of Law Club
Mock Trial Team
Social Studies Honor Society
JETS

Community Service: Look to be a Counselor at local summer camp, should get ~100 Hours
Work: Public Library (20 Hours/Week)

Background: Single-Parent Home, Dad pays no child support, etc. Roman Catholic, Irish-Italian, Public School in Florida

Looking to major: Poli. Sci., Government, Political Media
Minor: Journalism/Psych

Courses for Senior year:
AP Euro
AP US Gov
AP Microeconomics
Independent Study (AP World History)
AP Lit
AP Stats
Debate VIII Honors

What do you think? Could I get any merit-aid? Also, how long do I have to be there to claim residency and get reduced tuition?
Post edited by Duffman28 on

Replies to: Chances at UMD - College Park?

• gnusasaurusgnusasaurus Registered User Posts: 341 Member
    Hey, D-28:

I am assuming by your message that you are a Florida resident? If so, you must know that Florida has the Bright Futures program, which would make college for you in Florida very cheap.

As far as residency, I believe that if you come to Maryland as a student, you will be classified as an out of state student all four years. Most states have very stringent requirements about tuition and in-state status. If you graduate from a Florida high school and your parents are in Florida, you most likely would be considered a Florida resident. If your parents are moving to Maryland and working here, I am reasonably sure you would be classified a Maryland resident after one year of the parents living here.

I have no idea if you would qualify for merit aid. We are Maryland residents and visited the U of Maryland last week. My son has a 228 PSAT, 1560 old SAT, 2370 new SAT, and coincidentally, also loves debate. With those stats and 3.6 uw and 4.4 weighted gpa, they told us he had a chance for merit aid. But, maybe residents are given a higher consideration than out of state applicants, you would have to check with the admissions department to see.

We are taking a strong look at the University of Florida, and will be making our second visit there next month. We are hoping my son qualifies as a National Merit Scholarship finalist. u of Florida has a very nice program to attract NMS finalists.

Good luck to you!
This discussion has been closed.