Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UMD Vs UMass Amherst CS?

babachickenbabachicken Registered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
Which of the two schools has a stronger CS program?

Replies to: UMD Vs UMass Amherst CS?

• crowladycrowlady Registered User Posts: 1,098 Senior Member
    Most places I've looked at rank UMD higher than UMass Amherst for Computer Science. I know UMD has a very strong program, with particular strengths. However, UMass Amherst is also top 25. I believe UMass Amherst limits enrollment in that major. UMD does not (and will not -- even though they are bursting at the seams and struggle to get more faculty and teaching space for them). UMD is bigger overall which could be a plus or a minus.

Are you in-state for either of them?
  • babachickenbabachicken Registered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
    @crowlady I'm instate for college park
    My son is also looking at both, we are in-state for UMD. If he gets into both it won't be an easy decision though it is possible he won't apply to CS but some other major like linguistics. I would say you should consider other aspects of the schools, too.
  • Violet1996Violet1996 Registered User Posts: 839 Member
    UMD. However, UMass is not too far behind UMD so the difference in strength is almost negligible. I know several people who got accepted into both programs. I'd recommend the cheaper option in this case.
  • leildav1leildav1 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I am debating same but can't decide on applying because I keep hearing from friends that UMass is like a military school now. Confidential informants, caught with one beer can and you go to court, kids getting kicked out of school. I don't mind rules but hearing too many "over the top stories"
    Those 4-5 stories are not that common and only happen because there are fools who aren't careful with their liquor. I I'm not going to speak on the informant program, but in terms of other things it's not that bad. I've seen RAs not write-up residents who were speaking to them when drunk. People get away with stuff all the time. The only times it really feels like military camp is when we have strict guest policies for event weekends (Superbowl, Blarney etc.) because people couldn't handle themselves the first time around.

It's going to be similar at many schools in terms of rules, even worse at some actually.
  • leildav1leildav1 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Good to hear that. I have been told by at least ten people that police are everywhere on and off campus just looking for kids for minor violations. Seems like it would be a tough environment; even for someone who doesn't really party. I read about it online too and saw that I can not even be around anyone else who might be drinking. yikes!! Maybe I should stick with College Park.
    edited July 2015
    If anything they're ignoring the minor violations. The RAs/UMPD have far more important fish to fry and they're not going to make a deal out of things as long as you're (a) not causing a disturbance (b) not doing much beyond alcohol and weed for substances. Seriously, it's not that bad.
  • beaner89beaner89 Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    Anybody still look at this thread? My son is choosing between these 2 schools. Was admitted into CS major at Umass, (not everyone is) We are in-state for UMD, but he's not thrilled with UMD since its "home" university. Where did you go and are you happy?
    Well since you bumped the thread back to life, there's a higher chance someone will look at it. First off, congrats to your son on getting in! People with really high stats are not able to get in, so it's an accomplishment. My choice wound up being RPI vs UMass, and I went with UMass. I love it here and I don't regret my choice. The department is really strong with some great opportunities. The university beyond the department has a lot to offer and better balance of life vs. work. Feel free to PM me with questions if you have any.
    Thanks @Violet1996. We recently attending admitted student day at Umass, they rolled out the red carpet and my son loved it. We are attending UMD admitted day next week, after that my son will make his choice, but right now he is leaning towards Umass.
  • MADadMADad Registered User Posts: 2,006 Senior Member
    beaner 89--we were similarly impressed with how well UMass handled accepted student days--extremely well organized. His time at UMass will be over in a few months--flew by!
    Just a follow up, we attended admitted student day at UMD, and I was sure my son would still choose Umass since we live in MD and he wanted to go out of state, but he was very impressed with the presentation they gave and he ended up choosing UMD.
    @beaner89 That's interesting -- my son also wants to go out of state but will be at UMD for the high school programming competition tomorrow. We haven't gone to a UMD admitted student day and he has pretty much decided for UMass. I guess I'd like to think that both are excellent choices!
  • nohelicoptersnohelicopters Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Both are great programs. Why pay out-of-state if you don't have to. Head-scratcher. I'm a UMass Comp Sci alum and loved the school, but I would imagine UMD is probably very similar. Unless you and he just believe he will thrive more at UMass, go with the lower cost.
This discussion has been closed.