Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

U Mass Amherst questions

Replies to: U Mass Amherst questions

• 3mamagirls3mamagirls Registered User Posts: 217 Junior Member
    Thank you. Yes, I hear it isn't a very good looking school - but is it so ugly that it is sort of depressing? Mt D will not be in the Honors school.

How long does it take to walk end to end on campus itself? Can you walk? Or must a student take a bus to be realistic about getting around? It's nice there is a bus to town and the other campuses, but just trying to see what day to day on UMass campus will be like. As she didn't like to footprint of MSU, I hope this won't be the same issue.
  • Akqj10Akqj10 Registered User Posts: 276 Junior Member
    Yes it is Big, but if you are an engineer major for example, and live in the dorms near the engineering department, everything is walkable. I believe they put all the Freshman in Southwest ( except honors ). and you may choose to take a bus to get to one end of campus to the other. Southwest is a small city, make no bones about it. It has 5 towers some 20 stories high. Plus 16 or so other 4 story dorms. The bus system is really a big plus for the 5 schools although we used them more to go to the girls colleges for parties more than to take classes at the other schools that they all promote. The bus system on campus is the same as the 5 college system, just some routes only for U-mass campus. The campus is isolated, in so much at the edge of campus is just apartments for students, and only boarders the town of Amherst ( think very safe college town) on one corner of campus. My daughter did not like the size of the school. I could only see her going there if she was in the honors school, my son however would love it. Since I was not in the honors college I'm not being a snob saying you could almost look at the honors college as it's own small campus. I don't think the honors college students have to take a bus to their classes, they planned the location that way. So in short, I think Freshman do have to walk a lot, but I don't she will feel left out not being from here, just give her a Tom Brady jersey for her first day and she will fit right in, half joking.
  • 9241libom9241libom Registered User Posts: 51 Junior Member
    Check out St Anselms for political science
  • ConfusedMominMAConfusedMominMA Registered User Posts: 1,047 Senior Member
    As I stated earlier, my D is in the Honors college and is majoring in Finance in Isenberg. Yes, she does love the location of the honors dorms; not too far from her classes, not far to the library, next door to the rec center, across the street from the Mullins center for hockey and basketball games). Not all of her classes are in Isenberg though. She does have Gen Ed requirements in other areas of the campus so she does do quite a bit of walking around. You can probably walk from one end of the main campus to the other in 15-20 min, I would guess.

The Honors dorms don't have a dining common right there (they do have a cafe called Roots, that she loves.) so she usually eats over in one of the two dining commons at Southwest. It is probably a 5-7 min walk from her dorm to the dining commons in Southwest.

Originally my D was looking at smaller LAC type schools, with business schools, too (Villanova, Lehigh, etc) but once she visited UMass and started looking into all the advantages and opportunities that a larger school could offer, it won her over.
  • MADadMADad Registered User Posts: 2,007 Senior Member
    Not true about all freshmen in Southwest. Freshman year son was in Northeast, and had friends in Orchard Hill, Central, as well as SW.
    Yes - I actually found that out. I think for my D, either the SW shorter floors (not towers) or Central would work out for her. There are RAP's in both of those in her area.
  • sleepyparentsleepyparent Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    Daughter was admitted to Honors college with a nice scholarship. Other than living in a nice newer dorm, taking a few seminars and saying you are part of the Honors College - what are the other benefits?(smaller class sizes?) Can anyone elaborate? She was also admitted to UMaryland Scholars program and their website is much clearer on what one can expect from the program.
  • Asil65Asil65 Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    Can anyone recommend a hotel when we come for accepted students day end of February. Need to get on that. Thanks.
    Well I don't know much, but we are staying at the hotel right on campus as I thought it would be easier for us to start the day. http://www.hotelumass.com/

• bucky0926bucky0926 Registered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    Asil65, my son and I stayed twice at the econo lodge. It was clean and restful and just a few minutes from Umass. Yes, staying on campus is easier but also more expensive. Use your AAA card and get an even bigger discount.
  • MADadMADad Registered User Posts: 2,007 Senior Member
    There's a Hampton Inn on Route 9 about 4 miles from campus that we've used before. It's actually in Hadley, the next town over from Amherst. The Amherst-Hadley town line passes through the western side of the campus.
  • HampDfgHampDfg Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I live in the area. There are many of the typical discount hotels along route 9 in Hadley that are all a few minute drive to campus. If you want to get a feel for the area and get to walk to dinner and nightlife, I like the Hotel Northampton right in the center of Northampton, a 10-15 minute ride to campus.
  • JIMOnAustinJIMOnAustin Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    My Daughter was also just accepted at UMass, really appreciate all the Information, she was also accepted at Seton Hall, she is wanting to go into Poly Sci but they admitted her as undeclared, guess they are full or figure the kids may change their minds. I am wondering what the Intern placement rate is, Seton has a very good internship program, esp being next to NYC. She wants to be a Lawyer so this seems important. One other quick one, is there a Train from Boston to Amherst or near by?
  • ThemclosThemclos Registered User Posts: 209 Junior Member
    edited March 2016
    There is no direct train service between Amherst and Boston. The best method to get from Amherst to Boston (other than driving) is by bus.

While Amtrak stops in nearby Northampton, there are not many scheduled stops. One would take the train to Springfield or New Haven and transfer to the train to Boston. Because of the scheduling of the runs, it would be much more painful than simply taking a bus.
  • jcort1jcort1 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    3mamagirls, my D always thought she wanted a medium sized school 4000-6000 students, She thought UCONN at 17,000 was too big.We toured UMASS last year, but it was a sheet of ice, windy, snow etc and she didnt have a favorable opinion of it. We just went to accepted students day in Feb ( decent weather )- she absolutely loved it! Loved the vibe, students were friendly, many majors to choose from, equestrian barn right around the corner etc. They also gave us quite a bit of FA considering they are a state school & we are OOS. I thought the campus was nice, clean. Food was decent.She was having a difficult time choosing between Marist & Bloomsburg but dropped them both after visiting UMASS and committed shortly after the visit.
This discussion has been closed.