Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Freshman Roommate - Continuing Education?

ReRe568ReRe568 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
My freshman just received their housing assignment and the roommate is an international student. We haven't had any luck getting in touch with this student. However, through UMass people finder, we saw that the student's major is listed as "Continuing Education - non degree". When I think of a continuing education student, it is generally not an 18 year old. We are concerned that this person is older than your traditional college freshman. Has anyone else ever had an issue like this?

Replies to: Freshman Roommate - Continuing Education?

• aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,286 Senior Member
    Contact Housing before move-in and find out what they mean.
  • paws27paws27 Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    I think when I did the Power-Up program during my freshman year, it listed both my major and "continuing ed" because it was a summer class and not a normal university class. It is possible that this student is going to be in power up or is taking another class. I think I know some classmates who run a UMass summer program for international students, so it is possible that this student participated in that. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be worried about it. While it does occasionally happen, I don't think there are many non traditional older students who would opt to live in a freshman dorm anyway.
This discussion has been closed.