Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

UMass Amherst 2021 decision thread

Replies to: UMass Amherst 2021 decision thread

• Soakes99Soakes99 Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    edited April 14
    Wow, I have never heard of that. Did you even apply to Umass dartmouth???

Also still nothing :/ i have pretty much given up at this point.
  • MurftheSerfMurftheSerf Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    That happened at our school too and no one had heard of it happening before.
  • Annie4321Annie4321 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    @Soakes99

No, we didn't apply, visit, or express interest in UMass Dartmouth. We are just so confused because we have never seen this happen.
  • PoopFapPoopFap Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    Accepted today

3.63 GPA
    1110/1600 SAT
    And to boot, my essay was complete and utter trash.
  • Soakes99Soakes99 Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    edited April 14
    Huh, that is interesting @Annie4321. I have never heard of that before.
  • zointheskyzointhesky Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    I got in! Accepted today- $12k scholarship. My spire updated but didn't receive any email. Best of luck to everyone else ☺
  • mell99mell99 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    For anyone still waiting, I've been visiting this site a lot for the last few weeks, and had pretty much given up on UMass Amherst. But my son was accepted this afternoon (still under review this morning), in state, in Engineering. Like nearly everyone else, we were waiting for weeks and weeks after hearing from all other colleges. Exasperating. Funny thing is, UMass was his top choice all along, and we were encouraging it b/c for the money it is an excellent engineering school. However, two weeks ago we put in a deposit at his second choice school (University of Colorado) and in the meantime he has begun to be quite excited about living out west. Now we aren't sure what he will do. The money is an issue, but this process has been a *huge* turnoff for this school for us. I'm also annoyed that his high school isn't telling everyone that if they have any interest in UMass Amherst (the problem school as I understand it) they need to do EA, or just skip it. They should know this by now. But would that even solve the problem? It is absolutely nuts that it would take this long...and for those still waiting we had given up all hope of having him accepted into his competitive major without making the waitlist. But it goes to show you there seems to be no rhyme or reason to this. Best wishes to everyone wherever you end up!
  • garveygarvey Registered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
    I completely understand how anxious a time this has been for everyone - but it's not as if UMASS suggested the timing for notices of admission would be anything other than what it's been. @mell99, congrats to your son on the news of his acceptance - UMASS is outstanding for engineering - if the money is right, I'm sure he could find his way back to feeling excited about going there!
  • Mom 22Mom 22 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    My son finally got his decision yesterday.. applied Nov 24.Unfortunately, WAITLISTED. Sad for him, as it was top pick and he waited so long. A bit surprised. 4.0 GPA, 1280 SAT, plenty of ECs. Sent mid year grades, all college & AP classes, GPA raised 1.7 points since junior year. Go figure. Oh well. I believe they all end up where they are supposed to. So it wasn't meant to be.
  • washupper77washupper77 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    @HoustonPFD Do you have any idea what the time frame typically is for waitlisted students to be accepted for the spring semester? Would by mid summer be a realistic expectation, for a liberal arts major?
  • motherofboys3motherofboys3 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Nothing on Spire this morning, checked again this afternoon, my son got in, accepted in Mathematics program. No email, though. Looks like he'll miss admitted students days unless we can get to one next week, but I don't know if it's worth going. Are they worth it? My 2 older sons went to UMass Amherst so he is certainly familiar with the campus. He is supposed to get an email, right? Is that the "admissions packet"? Do we wait for this so we can put down a deposit? So happy that he got in! So confused about why this has turned into such a clusterf--k!
  • PreppyBoy123PreppyBoy123 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    edited April 14
    Got my decision today. Waitlisted. 1430 SAT, 4.2 weighted GPA. Got into Northeastern and BC, yet somehow got waitlisted at my safety school. That makes sense... Anyways, I applied undecided and sent in my application on December 20th. I'll probably end up at BC, since I only applied to 6 schools.
  • EmmAngEmmAng Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    My son got his acceptance this morning. He applied for CS. He got accepted into the CS exploratory track - which means undecided. SAT 1250. GPA 3.5. Many extracurriculars. He is going to decline the offer.
  • EAB426EAB426 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    @Annie4321, my S received the same decision. We have no idea why either, nor does he have any interest in UMass Dartmouth or UMass Amherst at this point. This whole decision process at UMass has left us unimpressed to say the least. My S committed to UNH, one of his top choice schools, weeks ago.
  • btruong413btruong413 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    My friends received emails saying that all admissions decisions should be released by April 15th, but i still havent heard anything or have seen any changes on my spire account. Is this happening to anyone else?