Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UMass Amherst 2021 decision thread

1444546474850»

Replies to: UMass Amherst 2021 decision thread

• capecodgalcapecodgal Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I got waitlisted the other day as well. I never expected this, and am just looking for some clarification. 4.13 GPA, 1270 SATs, 1 sport, Theatre, Class & NHS Secretary, and multiple other ECs. Also, I received the Abigail Adams Scholarship for high MCAS (state test) scores which provide free state tuition. A few people in my class with lower scores/GPA got in over me. Does anyone have any idea why people with the similar credentials also got waitlisted?
  • csAdvocatecsAdvocate Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    @btruong413 I heard this as well, it's very upsetting that many people still haven't heard back despite promises of answers.
  • britlassbritlass Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    This is just insanity! Many of you with excellent stats getting WL?? You should not only be accepted but be invited into the Honors college!! Makes no sense! My D applied EA and heard back in Dec but likely going to UConn as she preferred it over UMass.
  • lumed18lumed18 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I got waitlisted in April, they said we would hear something starting mid-May but last year people started hearing back from them May 8/9th. In the forum from last year, people were getting phone calls this same week last year. Hopefully we hear something soon.
  • tnu2016tnu2016 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    for those of you still waiting to hear about the wait list, my son got the call on May 30 last year so don't give up hope...
  • lucky978lucky978 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    So how does this work? My daughter waitlisted and now it's way past the May 1st deadline for all other schools. She has chosen to attend another school but does UMass Amherst actually think that kids will wait to hear from them and choose to lose a deposit at another school? What is the thinking behind this? Why can every other school in the country get their decisions made on time but not them? It's too bad.
  • HoustonPFDHoustonPFD Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    The purpose of a waitlist is to fill spots due to less than expected enrollment. They dont know their freshman enrollment size until after May 1st since that's decision day so they aren't able to give spots until then. Pretty much every school does this.
  • garveygarvey Registered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
    edited May 2017
    UMASS has no expectation that a prospective student will wait to hear from them before s/he submits a deposit at another school. And, as it happens, many students, whether they wish to attend umass or elsewhere, will be willing to forfeit their deposit at school "plan B" if a spot opens at their first choice school.
    When should we expect to hear?
    Has everyone that was waitlisted heard back by now?
  • washupper77washupper77 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I haven't heard of anyone getting a call yet. If you look at previous years discussions of this, they tend to happen slowly over the summer.
This discussion has been closed.