Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
icecream25icecream25 Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
Chance me for Umass Amherst Nursing Major RD

Demographic:
-Massachusetts Resident
-Asian, chinese, female
- large public school in Massachusetts
-first in my family to go to college in USA

Academics:
unweighted GPA: 3.77
weighted GPA: 3.99 since junior year second semester (trying to aim for a 4.0+ first semester of senior year)
SAT: 1240 (530 english-based reading and writing, 710 math)
SAT II: Math 2: 640
Honors classes all four years of high school and one AP class senior year
Mostly A's in my classes
Top 30% of my class
Have pretty good recommendations from my counselor, math and science teachers from junior year.
Have a pretty strong essay on a challenge I've faced for running

Extracurricular activies:
Band (all four years)
Cross country (10-12 grade)
Outdoor Track (12 grade)
Basketball (9th grade)
National Honor Society (11-12 grade)
Yellow River Cantata Band (10 grade)
Badminton Club (10-12 grade)
Syrian Relief Club (11-12 grade)

Leadership:
Relay for life team captain
Clarinet section leader
Freshman Orientation Leader

Awards:
High Honor Roll (9-11 grade)
Sat Practice Gold Award (12 grade)
CPR Certification (9th grade)

Work:
Work as a Cashier at a local grocery store about 10 hours a week during the weekend (Grade 12)
Work as a bagger at the same grocery store about 10 hours a week during the weekend (Grade 9-19)

Volunteer:
Nursing home during December break for 8 hours (grade 12)
Local camp near in my town for about 180 hours over the summers (Grade 9-10)
MIT Day Camp during the summer of my 10th grade for 35 hours
Special Olympics 6 hours (Grade 11)
Flutie 5k 4 hours (Grade 11)
Jingle Bell Run 4 hours (Grade 11)

Umass Amherst is currently my top school but I made a huge mistake for not applying there early action for nursing because I think the application pool early action is too competitive and it would be a lot harder for me to get in plus my term 1 senior grades weren't as great so I decided to apply regular. Now I made a huge mistake for not applying early and wonder if my chances of getting into nursing are going to be more slim than if I had applied early action. I have already gotten accepted to 5 schools for nursing early action: Simmons, MCPHS, UMD, UML, UMB, and hopefully UMA will be the final and I will definitely attend here. I chose undeclared natural sciences for my second choice major so I hope I can get into that major if I don't end up getting into nursing. I know the UMass nursing program is super competitive there and they only accept 12% of applicants out of the 2000 applications they get. I wonder if I still have a chance to get into the nursing program with the grades and scores I have. I know they look at the applications holistically. Does anyone know how I can increase my chances of getting into the nursing program at this point? I haven't submitted my application yet but will be doing so in a few days. I'm hoping there is still a chance I can get in. I feels to me I would be better off applying early there but it's not all over yet.

By the way, is there really a big difference with applying early and applying regular?

Replies to: Chance Me