Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Getting out of Gen Ed Requirements

ReqCollatzReqCollatz Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
Hello Friends! I want to triple major... without dying. Part of my plan involves getting out of all the gen ed requirements with a combination of AP Credit and classes I can take at a near by community college that take advantage of Mass Transfer.

So here's the requirements. I will write what I think satisfies the requirement, if i'm wrong, please let me know.

2 courses (6 credits). One course (CW) or exemption (see Writing Program) and one upper level 3-credit Junior Year Writing course offered by your major department.
AP Lang to get out of the into class and there's no way to get out of the junior writing course, since its a major requirement as well.

Basic Mathematics:
1 course (0-3 credits). One course (R1) or a passing score on the Tier 1 Math Exemption Exam
Analytic Reasoning:
1 course (3 credits). One course (R2)
AP Calc BC and AP Stats should easily to the trick.

Biological & Physical World:
2 courses (8 credits)One course (BS) and one course (PS)

AP Physics C (I don't know whether PSL counts as a PS, but im assuming the L just means lab and I don't see how that is a bad thing) and BIOL 121 that I took at a community college, which turns into BIOL 151 at UMass.

Social World:
4 courses (16 credits).
One course (AL/AT): AP Lit
One course (HS): APUSH
One course (SB): AP Macro Econ
One course (AL, AT, SB, I, or SI): AP Micro Econ

Social & Cultural Diversity:
2 courses. One course focusing on UNITED STATES diversity (U, ALU, ATU, HSU, IU, or SBU)
This ones tough. I think the best way to go about it is to take Prin of Sociology this summer at my local community college, since it transfers as SOCIOL 110 at UMass, which is a U course.

One course focusing on GLOBAL diversity (G, ALG, ATG, HSG, IG, or SBG)
Another hard one T.T Seems the best way to go about this one is to self study AP Comparative Gov, which is a G course.

Integrative Experience
varies by department (3 credits) A variety of options will be offered during junior or senior year in your major department. (*)
This is also a major requirement, so cant/don't want to skip this one.
This discussion has been closed.