Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Transfer student essay

wedgewedge Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
The Umass website says to include a brief written statement with your application. However, the only essay slot(s) on the application are to say why you are transferring, and a personal statement.

Is the brief written statement, the person statement that they are talking about? Or do I actually have to write an essay(on anything) and mail it in separately?
Post edited by wedge on

Replies to: Transfer student essay

• capt802capt802 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    What I sent was a transfer statment and the personal essay. In the transfer statement, it asks you why you want to come to the school and why you want to leave your current college/university. I also sent in the essay, which consisted of background info on myself, personal accomplishments, etc. Hopefully this helps. If you go on the on-line application it states the question for the transfer statement. Hope this helps...
  • puff-o-smokepuff-o-smoke . Posts: 54 Junior Member
    I applied as a transfer as well but I'm a bit confused by your comments. I didn't bother with the online application (didn't want to risk being affected by so-called artificial computer GPA / rankings / SAT cut-offs). As far as I understood it from the paper application and I mean I did read all the other online materials (apart from the section of the UMASS website devoted to actually applying online), a transfer statement isn't actually necesary.

All they really want (at least how I understood it) was this:

1.) Official copy of your high school transcripts and SAT or test scores (this was optional though if you were transfering with more than 27 credits though)

2.) Official copy of any and all of your college transcripts

3.) Letters of Recomendations (I sent two from professors. I'm not sure but they might only have required one.)

4.) Personal Statement (an essay with this topic: In 500 words or less, describe any personal circumstances or acdaemic experiecnes (positive or negative) that you feel are important for us to know about you.)

5.) A completed (paper) application form (all 4 pages)

6.) An activity sheet (I sent in a bluffed up resume / activity sheet)

7.) (optional) Request for admission to the Honors College (this wasn't stated as required anywhere online but when I called and asked a transfer consouler about it at the office of undergraduate admissions they said it would be a great thing to include. This was another around 400 word essay.)

8.) Application Fee ($50 out-of-state, $40 in-state, $60 international)

I mean in any event, I did call today (the office of undergraduate admissions) and asked if my application was complete and they told me they had recieved it and it was. (This was without any specific transfer statement, although my personal statement did mostly focus on my experience at Stevens (my old school) and why I was now transfering and what I learn and where I wanted to take my life and yadayadayada.) But I mean I guess I'm a bit confused. Is this statement required?
  • admisscounsadmisscouns Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    No ... you are all set.
    I work in transfer admissions at UMA ... want to send me your name in a private message and I will follow up for you?
This discussion has been closed.