Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
bbazn97bbazn97 Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
Hello Im from New Jersey and about to become a senior. I am very interested in attending University of Massachusetts amherst but not sure if I have the best numbers. My weighted gpa will be around 3.7 year 1. 3.2 year 2. 4 year 3 4. During high school I played varsity tennis and chess club. Last June was the first time I took my SAT which was a 1790 CR 630 Math 530 Writing 640. I took two APs as a junior (US History, Composition) and will take AP Chemistry this year. I did around 100 hours of volunteer service at a rehabilitation center and the time there has helped me choose a major. Do I have a decent chance getting into this college or should I try to improve something? Or is there no chance at all?
Post edited by bbazn97 on

Replies to: chance?

• notrichenoughnotrichenough Registered User Posts: 8,715 Senior Member
    Do I have a decent chance getting into this college or should I try to improve something? Or is there no chance at all?
    Of course you have a chance, and I think it is pretty decent.

Your GPA and test scores are right around in the middle of the averages, and you have some rigor to your classes and some nice EC's. So I think you are a competitive applicant.

Remember that UMass's acceptance rate is around 66%. Also UMass is trying to get more OOS students because they pay more. So while I wouldn't say you are a sure thing, I like your odds. You should definitely apply.

I think you should take the SAT again to try to improve your scores - better scores will help at all schools you apply to. Or take the ACT, sometimes students do better on that than on the SAT.
This discussion has been closed.