Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Daughter's chances?

enfall2004enfall2004 Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
ANyone have an idea whether my daughter might get in.
PSAT's W 78 Add a 0 to get an SATish score
R 75
M 55

GPA 3.45 (hardest courses, additional courses ENglish, History, Spanish)
average courses science, math

Unusually good EC's working in several programs and capacities with autistic children, wants to study special ed or psychology.

Outstanding letters of recommendation from ECs
Good-Very good letters from teachers, guidance counselor
Post edited by enfall2004 on

Replies to: Daughter's chances?

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon Registered User Posts: 12,128 Senior Member
    That's a 208 PSAT. It'll be commended (I can't speak to NMSF, don't know your state.) Invest in some Real SAT tests and work, work , work on the math. Google the xiggi method here on CC and just do the math sections, familiarity will get her 50-100 points and then she's probably safe. JMO.
  • my-3-sonsmy-3-sons Registered User Posts: 2,880 Senior Member
    The Dan Marino Foundation does a lot of work with UM on autism research. http://www.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,2593-1;42895-3,00.html

It sounds like UM would be a great fit for your D's interests. I think she will have a good shot and would encourage her to keep working hard and apply EA. Some SAT prep will definitely help. My S was admitted EA with a 3.45uw - 1400. He is a freshman and loves it there.

We heard one of the profs from the education school speak during admitted student's day and she was wonderful. The education students all seemed very satisfied with the program. Good Luck.
  • A2Wolves6A2Wolves6 Registered User Posts: 4,232 Senior Member
    Low GPA, compared to the average GPA. Make sure your D has a well rounded application, Miami (and privates in general) likes all the ECs, involvement, moreso than publics. And study for those SATs. Make sure to take the ACT as well.
This discussion has been closed.