Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Will I get into UMiami? Merit?

ihopeigetintbhihopeigetintbh Registered User Posts: 196 Junior Member
GPA: 3.75/4, 3.86/4 including first semester senior year
Rank top 10%
SAT: 1320
12 AP Classes when I graduate
Senior year course schedule: AP (Gov , Macro, Micro, Lit , Stats, Environmental Science, Computer Science)
Major: Cognitive Science
Extracurricular:
Founder and President of volunteering club 11/12
Varsity tennis team captain 11/12
Country Club Team Captain 11/12
Mock trial 9-11
Mobile app developer for my school district, endorsed by mayor & UCR & google 12
Continental math league 9-12
USC Pipeline program 12
Mayor's youth advisory committee
A program sponsored by the UC system
Honors:
Most Remarkable teen
National History Day runner up
Slam Poetry Finalist
Principals Award
State recognition from the state and assemblyman
Summer programs:
[email protected]
Hospital volunteering

Common app essay: 9/10. Really raw, personal, wrote about the ending of a friendship that sparked personal growth

Recommendations
Counselor: 7/10. She loves me, explains that I could've had a higher GPA if I took the easy route but I challenged myself. Really shines on my outgoing personality and my ability to get involved.
AP Computer Science teacher 10/10. Speaks on my meetings with Google, the mayor, and my school district officials concerning my app.
Hooks: urm (black and Hispanic), female in stem/computer science?
I’ve emailed my admissions counselor and told her I’ve visited campus, is this enough interest?

Replies to: Will I get into UMiami? Merit?

• KNG2399KNG2399 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Academically wise you and I are very similar, although you do have taken a few more AP courses and have stronger leadership positions than I did in extracurriculars. I just was accepted early action a few weeks ago and only received a small grant with no merit scholarships, but with your many AP classes and strong extracurriculars I can definitely seeing you have a great chance of getting accepted and receiving at least some money too!