Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Finishing Freshman year with only 18 credits

chrisserchrisser Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hey, So I have had an interesting start to my college career. I took 3 classes at FIU last semester since I was a spring admit at UM. Now I am a freshman in my second semester in college (first semester at UM) but unfortunately, I have been unable to do well so far because of some severe family problems I am going through and having to spend a lot of time at home. I am currently taking 12 credits and am thinking about dropping my hardest class and only taking 9. I am doing this only so I can focus on 3 classes and keep my GPA up.

Obviously entering the sophomore year with 18 credits puts me far behind my peers. However, I will do my best to make up for a lot of it in summer semesters and online courses. Is anyone out there in a similar situation? Would it be a bad idea to take an extra semester or a 5th year at the end of my four years to make up for the lost credits? I am planning on majoring in International Marketing and Finance with a minor in Spanish.

Replies to: Finishing Freshman year with only 18 credits

• JerseyParentsJerseyParents Registered User Posts: 422 Member
    Have you taken the CLEP Spanish test? or other CLEP tests? Its a cheap way to earn credit if you school will take the transfer of credit. Check it out.