Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

City of Miami

2»

Replies to: City of Miami

• vincehvinceh Registered User Posts: 2,291 Senior Member
    My son is currently at UM. Campus and the surrounding areas are extremely safe. Coconut Grove within the Coco Walk area is extremely safe.

The only issues/incidents he's ever heard of were when students moved off campus to the area a mile or two south of campus. There seems to be a consistent pattern of break-ins and property theft in that area.
  • 100Canadian100Canadian Registered User Posts: 183 Junior Member
    thanks for the informative posts everyone
  • js911js911 Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    I'm a graduating senior at UM, and I haven't had any serious crime issues myself. I've lived both on and near campus, and the general area is fairly safe. That said, I wouldn't recommend exploring on foot during night.

I have mixed feelings when it comes to the metrorail; I used it regularly during last summer and fall for an internship downtown. It's usually fine during the day (from the perspective of a male), but I would hesitate to ride it after sunset. I've seen plenty of weirdos onboard, so I'm not sure how this would play out for a female.

Students are mailed crime reports from UM campus. The most common reports seem to be from female joggers running along the perimeter of the campus at night. There are certain areas that aren't well lit, so some common sense should be exercised. However, I haven't received any safety e-mails in several months.

The biggest issue I have with Miami is anything related to driving. Road rage is a serious issue here. The only time I see turn indicators is when someone has left it on for the last 5 miles. Most drivers lazily drift over or quickly pull without checking. I would estimate at least half of the drivers here do not realize they have to yield to pedestrians when turning at intersections; I've been nearly hit twice, and even honked at! I would not recommend biking within a 50 mile radius of Miami.
2»
This discussion has been closed.