right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Easier to get jobs in Chicago than NYC?

matt00matt00 4 replies5 threads New Member
Coming out of Ross, is it significantly easier to get banking/consulting jobs at top firms in Chicago than in NYC or does the Ross network hold equal clout in both cities?
edited May 2015
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Easier to get jobs in Chicago than NYC?

• blue85blue85 381 replies101 threads Member
    An extremely crude proxy: go into LinkedIn and do an alumni headcount check for each city.
    · Reply · Share
  • AlexandreAlexandre 24277 replies434 threads Senior Member
    Matt00, most consulting-bound Ross students head to Chicago, NYC and Detroit offices...in that order. It should be noted that Consulting firms are very decentralized. They obviously have corporate headquarters, but regional offices are just as significant. Bain and BCG's headquarters are in Boston, but their Chicago, DC, Houston, LA and NYC offices are just as important.

Michigan is obviously very respected among major consulting firms. BCG's CEO (Rich Lesser) is a Michigan alumnus and most Bain, BCG and McKinsey offices in NYC, Chicago and Detroit will have several Michigan alums in high places.

That being said, I think the Chicago office will be conducting most of the on-campus recruitment activities at Michigan.
    · Reply · Share
  • matt00matt00 4 replies5 threads New Member
    edited May 2015
    @Alexandre with that said, do you think selecting Chicago as location of preference increases an interviewee's "chances"? Thanks
    edited May 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • AlexandreAlexandre 24277 replies434 threads Senior Member
    I would defer to the judgment of students currently enrolled at Ross, and to the Ross career office. I would say yes, but that's just my opinion.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegebound_guycollegebound_guy 464 replies119 threads Member
    edited May 2015
    I would agree that picking Chicago as a location preference can increase your chances during recruiting. From personal experience, there are so many people who want NYC, which suggests more competition.
    edited May 2015
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity