Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Replies to: UM or UI

• A2Wolves6A2Wolves6 Registered User Posts: 4,232 Senior Member
    If tuition is the same, go to Michigan. Ann Arbor is a much better place than Champaign.
  • infiniteabyssinfiniteabyss Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    I have a similar situation...instate @ UofI (honors program) vs OOS Michigan(no special program or anything).

I still think Michigan has more prestige, plus I don't want to see a bunch of kids I knew back in high school all the time...

Ann Arbor > Champaign-Urbana (cornfields!? LOL)
  • barronsbarrons Registered User Posts: 24,977 Senior Member
    I don't think anyone can argue with that. But in engineering only UI might have a bit better overall reputation worldwide. Lots of internationals flock there.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Registered User Posts: 24,693 Senior Member
    Barrons, I am not sure I agree. Both schools have huge international populations. Michigan has 4,500 international students and Illinois has roughly 4,900 international students. Clearly, there are two things that determine a university's international reputation:

1) The overall quality of the university, where Michigan has an edge over Illinois.

2) The quality of a university's Business and Engineering programs. In Engineering, Michigan and Illinois are roughly equal but in Business, Michigan is better than Illinois.

Here's a breakdown of their international student populations (according to the USNWR):

UNDERGRADUATES:
    Michigan: 5% (1,400) of Michigan's 26,000 undergrads are international.
    Illinois: 5% (1,600) of Illijnois 32,000 undergrads are international.

GRADUATE ENGINEERING:
    -Michigan full time graduate Engineers: 52% (1,143) of 2,198 are international.
    -Illinois full time graduate Engineers: 47% (1,130) of 2,405 are international.
    -Michigan part time graduate Engineers: 42% (106) of 252 are international.
    -Illinois part time graduate Engineers: 37% (25) of 67 are international.
    -Michigan total international graduate Engineering students: 1,249
    -Illinois total international graduate Engineering students: 1,155

MBA programs:
    -Michigan full time MBA students: 35% (290) of 838 are international.
    -Illinois full time MBA students: 56% (114) of 203 are international.
    -Michigan part time MBA students: 16% (120) of 753 are international.
    -Illinois part time MBA students: 11% (4) of 38 are international.
    Michigan total international MBA students: 410
    Illinois total international MBA students: 118

TOTAL MBA & Engineering (graduate)
    Michigan: 1,659
    Illinois: 1,273

I would say that internationally, Michigan has a greater overall reputation than Illinois. In Engineering circles, I would say Michigan and Illinois are equally regarded.
  • -Lurker--Lurker- Registered User Posts: 1,420 Senior Member
    This post only confirms why I applied to both UIUC and UMICH - they are very, very similar! Since tuition cost is almost exactly the same, I would go with UMICH.

Reasons
    1. Both are neck and neck in engineering programs, so either would be great.
    2. UMICH has a great liberal arts education that you can fall back on and business majors are recruited heavily.

Alexandre stated the facts and summed everything up perfectly, but UMICH has the edge, and not by a large margin. I would wait and visit UIUC before you make any commitments because happiness should play a huge factor in your decision, especially if you are choosing between two very similar schools at a very similar cost.
  • CCRunner123CCRunner123 Registered User Posts: 1,280 Senior Member
    I hate to bring USNEWS into this, but Michigan is ranked 25...Illinois is ranked 38. Whether or not you agree with the methodology of the ranking, Michigan has more then a "slight" edge over UIUC, as good a school as it is.
    CCRunner, I don't think a 15 spot difference in the USNWR is that significant. But a 0.5 difference in Peer assessment score is. Michigan has a peer assessment score of 4.5 and Illinois has a peer assessment score of 4.0. No university in the US has more than a 0.4 advantage over Michigan. Harvard, MIT, Princeton and Stanford have peer assessment scores of 4.9. Yale and Cal have a peer assessment score of 4.8. Caltech has a peer assessment score of 4.7. No other university has a peer assessment score higher than 4.6.
  • vc08vc08 Registered User Posts: 3,340 Senior Member
    There are 15 spots separating Michigan and Ohio State in USNWR public school rankings..... ^_^
    15 spots when looking at state schools does make a difference. Michigan is one of the top 3 state schools, OSU is not one of the top 15. That's a significant difference. But in the overall USNWR ranking, I don't see a significant difference between #10 and #25 or between #25 and #40.
  • vc08vc08 Registered User Posts: 3,340 Senior Member
    Haha, I know, I was jking!
    VC, when are you going to learn, we don't joke about OSU at Michigan! hehe!
  • westsidewolf1989westsidewolf1989 Registered User Posts: 1,251 Senior Member
    OSU sucks
  • Copy&PasteCopy&Paste Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    OSU would suck even more if and when they get Terrelle Pryor :(
  • toffee327toffee327 Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    "UI might have a bit better overall reputation worldwide. Lots of internationals flock there."

I am an American living in Korea, and UM definitely has a better reputation here. Most of my classmates are Koreans and a lot of them are applying to both schools. However, UM is a school they might actually go to... UI is mostly used as a safety. I don't know that that is necessarily reflective of two schools' actual quality, but it does say something about their reputations.
  • Copy&PasteCopy&Paste Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    sorry to bring this back up again but im really conflicted on what to do. im from illinois so u of i would be cheap for me while UM would cost double. my hopes are to get in to medical school which will cost a lot so im wondering if i should just stay instate and save 80k or is the UM undergrad a much better degree than u of i for going into the medical field? thanks.
This discussion has been closed.